1916 Norwegian Krag

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Aladinbama

1916 Norwegian Krag

Post by Aladinbama »

Well, as stated in a previous post I was lucky enough to happen upon one of my holy grails - a 1916 Norwegian Krag in 6.5x55. I heard about them some time ago and have let a coupke slip through my hands - this one got caught. It's in pretty good shape, but dirty. The bore looks in barely used condition, but again VERY dirty. I might even say there could be soe cosmo in there. Anyway, here's a pic from the auction company I bought it from - and yes, it is already in hand. I just haven't been able to get time to do anything with it yet :(
img
Please visit my web page
www.thegunstockdoctor.com

butlersrangers

Re: 1916 Norwegian Krag

Post by butlersrangers »

Aladinbama: Welcome to the KCA Forum and congratulations on your nice looking Model 1912 Carbine. I hope all your numbers match and the bore is excellent. It is great to have a correct sling and cleaning rod. The Norwegian brass muzzle cover/front-sight protectors show up sometimes on ebay.

Aladinbama

Post by Aladinbama »

I managed a disassembly this morning. All the numbers I found matched; most were just the last three digits (I'm assuming that was how they did it). I laughed when I pulled the cleaning rod out - I think this Krag has the shortest one I've found on a pre-WWI era rifle.
I'll take some WD40 and a toothbrush to it and get rid of all the dirt. I'll follow that up with regular gun oil. I did manage to run a patch (or 5 or so) down the bore last night - NASTY, but it looks much better now. I think a dozen bullets or so and another cleaning will take care of it :)
Please visit my web page

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Matching parts' is very good. I hope she's a fine shooter for you. You have a very desirable Norwegian Krag.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Using bullets as part of the cleaning process reminds me of a man I knew years ago who swore by the process of shooting pure lead bullets through a bore that was sloppy wet with a paste of powdered cleanser such as Bon Ami, Bartenders Friend, Ajax, etc. Of course we are speaking large calibers and very mild loads - I wouldn't try it with a small caliber - in fact, I never did try it at all - but, he never ringed a barrel, and came up with some of the shiniest, best-looking bores you ever saw.

Pentz

Post by Pentz »

Soaking the bore with Kroil, Hoppes, Butches' or other solvents and periodic scrubs with a bronze brush will get alot of the crud out. Firing and cleaning, firing and cleaning will often yield amazing results. Best of luck and give us a report!

Aladinbama

Post by Aladinbama »

Using bullets as part of the cleaning process reminds me of a man I knew years ago who swore by the process of shooting pure lead bullets through a bore that was sloppy wet with a paste of powdered cleanser such as Bon Ami, Bartenders Friend, Ajax, etc. Of course we are speaking large calibers and very mild loads - I wouldn't try it with a small caliber - in fact, I never did try it at all - but, he never ringed a barrel, and came up with some of the shiniest, best-looking bores you ever saw.

I think I'll pass on that one too!
The bore looks pretty good. I took a well worn brush to it this morning and it cleaned up a tish more (and I do use Hoppe's). With my experience with Mosins, sometimes a bullet is the only thing that will polish out what has been ignored for years.
I will add that it is clean enough to comfortably shoot without any issues :)
Please visit my web page

Aladinbama

Post by Aladinbama »

Question - what was the stock originally finished with? I want to clean it up a bit and it would be good to know what I'm working with before I try anything. It appears to be oil (mostly), maybe RLO or an early BLO, but there are some really shiny areas that ressemble some type of varnish.
Any ideas?
Please visit my web page

Pentz

Post by Pentz »

You will likely get a variety of opinions. Mine is that a little of Murphy's oil soap diluted in warm water and aparingly applied with a sponge will remove most of the surface grime without compromising the finish. I then apply a little warm flax seed oil and rub into the stock with the palm of my hand. It's food-grade linseed oil and can be found in health food stores. The old formula was "once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, once a year for a lifetime". It's all a matter of taste. And it does not taste too bad.. ;)

Aladinbama

Post by Aladinbama »

Thanks for the info.
After a bit of testing, I determined that someone has put shellac on it at some point in time. If you look at the picture you can see that in the butt area - it's flaked off/removed in some areas.
Anyway, A little DNA followed by an oil scrub and it should be as good as used :)
Please visit my web page