Help with grand-dad's 1898 Krag

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
ArizonaTravis

Help with grand-dad's 1898 Krag

Post by ArizonaTravis »

So I just inherited a couple guns which were my grandfathers. One of these guns is a 1898 Krag and I would love to take the gun out with my dad and shoot it but I don't know the last time it was shot. For safety reasons, I was wondering if there was anyone in Arizona familiar with these types of guns which could look it over and see if it was safe to shoot. I have searched online and haven't found any armorers in Arizona familiar with Krag. On the gun, it is stamped that it is a model 1898 with a serial number of 478***. From what I can see, it looks like its been around since 1898, but there's no rust or big defects that I can see. Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.
TravisImage

butlersrangers

Re: Help with grand-dad's 1898 Krag

Post by butlersrangers »

Arizona Travis: Welcome to the KCA Forum. You are mighty fortunate to inherit a family heirloom from your Grandfather. It appears you have a cut-down model 1898 rifle in a very desirable model 1898 carbine stock. The sling swivels are not original to the Krag. It appears your barrel has been dove-tailed for a commercial rear sight which is missing. Your 'banded' front sight looks like it might be a re-shaped 1903 Springfield sight. If your bore and chamber are cleaned and in decent condition and your bolt's locking lug is 'ok' you are probably 'good to go'. Just get a rear sight that fits the barrel dove-tail. If you have an area gunsmith that is competent with older arms, have him check it out and put on a rear sight. (I took the liberty of playing with your picture).ImageImage

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Welcome!

If there is no oral history of grandpa having a problem with the rifle, and if he was using it right up to the end, and if is has been kept relatively rust-free there is probably no reason at all why you should not shoot it. You really do not need a Krag expert to look at the gun - any well-established 'smith should be able to give it a good safety check.

I will say that the arm has been subjected to a lot of "home-gunsmithing" in that it is a assembly of dis-associated parts, and the barrel has been modified - or may not even be a Krag barrel. Many Krags were re-barrelled with one from a 1903 Springfield. The stock is from a much earlier carbine. Since I cannot see the bolt notch clearly I cannot tell if it is from an 1896 or 1898 model, but it still would not have come with that receiver. These are not safety issues, only cosmetic - the gun will still be fun to shoot. Enjoy!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Here is a picture of some Arizona Rangers, which Winchester used in an add in the 1960s. Winchester committed the 'sin' of misidentifying them as 'Texas' Rangers. Every Ranger had a Model 1895 Winchester, except the guy in the middle with a Krag carbine.Image

ArizonaTravis

Post by ArizonaTravis »

Thank you all who helped. I don't have much family history on this gun except he was a farmer most of his life which I was told he always had a gun with him. Unfortunately, he has been sick for several years and don't ever remember him shooting during that time. I will definitely take this gun to a local gunsmith and have him look it over so I can take my gun out. Anyways, thanks all and I have attached a few other photos.
TravisImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

A.T.: Thanks for adding additional pics. Your Krag's action was built in 1903 at Springfield Armory near the end of Krag production. The barrel originally was 30" long. There is a peculiar groove filed into the bolt-sleeve. This was probably done because the front sight is so low. This would cause the rifle to shoot high so the rear sight had to be depressed to the max. The two holes in the left side of the receiver were probably for an off-set Weaver scope mount. There appears to be some lettering on your safety. Krag safeties are devoid of lettering. Your stock is an early type of Model 1898 Krag carbine stock. These were made in 1898 and are relatively rare. Only 5,000 M-1898 carbines were made. It appears the stock has been thinned down in the wrist and forearm. The barrel band is not correct for this stock and may be a 'trap-door' Springfield band. I see a couple of 'dome' head screws on the left side of the stock near the rear of the action. These hold the remains of a cavalry sling-bar. I am describing a lot of things that sound like blemishes (to a collector), but this is your Grandfather's Krag so it should be 'Priceless' to you. (If you are not real familiar with arms, it's good to have it checked out by someone who is Competent).

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

A.T. : If you go to the KCA Website main page and click on the tab marked 'photos' you can see a lot of neat stuff like this 1898 carbine:Image