Rice peep

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
craigster

Rice peep

Post by craigster »

Quick question. I just sold a Rice Krag peep sight, $45, shipped. Did I give it away? Thanks.

Craig

butlersrangers

Re: Rice peep

Post by butlersrangers »

Craig: In my opinion, you did 'OK'. That is more than I would pay for one. The product of Leroy Rice was inexpensive and very practical for Krags used as 50-100 yard 'woods rifles'. I am sure it worked and was tough enough. It has the virtue of requiring no permanent alteration or blemish to the rifle. It did not require great skill to install and stayed put. However, it is very common, 'Homely', and 'Cheap' looking. It was intended to be 'locked' into place and was not conducive to fine sight adjustment during a shooting match. The practical Rice sight did not even get mention in Nick Stroebel's "Old Gunsights & Rifle Scopes", which I think is grossly unfair. I have never used a Rice sight and find them unappealing compared to the Krag sights of Lyman, Pacific, and Redfield. But, the products of Leroy Rice, although 'Spartan', deserve recognition as being very popular in the history of the Krag as a sporting arm.Image

craigster

Post by craigster »

Thanks. The price I offered the seller was a WAG, he was quite happy with it and was very happy to find a Rice sight. Glad he found what he as looking for. I have a very nice Redfield 70K on the way, so I'm happy too.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I like it when all parties are happy. What's a WAG?

craigster

Post by craigster »

WAG = Wild ass guess.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Craig: Thanks for the explanation of WAG; I like that!
I'm attaching a photo of a Redfield instruction sheet, as well as, William's gunsight recommendations. Later Redfield instructions suggested using the 'cut-off shaft' as described by Williams. You can easily make a replacement shaft out of a large nail, rather than ruin an original Krag part.ImageImage

craigster

Post by craigster »

Thanks for the pics/info. I have an original trashed cutoff that I will be able to use so won't have to go the nail route. Wondering whether or not the Redfield when installed will clear the Rice screw/nut that replaced the original extractor rivet. Or will an original rivet have to be used?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Get an original rivet; the Redfield sight just clears when in lowest position. Send the Rice screw and nut to the gentleman who purchased your sight.
J. DeChristopher has extractor rivet, (part - k31B), for $10. www.tradenet.net/joede/

Rick H.

Post by Rick H. »

I am pretty sure that the Rice Peep Sight did make it into the Old Gunsights book by Stroebel. I am not near my books but as I recall there is a section in his book for miscellaneous sights which is where a describtion and picture of the Rice Peep Sight is located.

Rick