Krag Sight adjust

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
John Parker

Krag Sight adjust

Post by John Parker »

Have recently picked up a very nice Krag 1898 with what looks like the 1896 sight. Shoots well but needs windage adjustment and I can't seem to find much on the net. Is this sight adjustable for windage??
THX
John Parker :-/

gunboat57

Re: Krag Sight adjust

Post by gunboat57 »

Hi, John, and welcome!
I bought a sporter that had the '96 rear sight. It wasn't adjustable for windage so I bought a 1902 sight to replace it. You might know that the mounting hole spacing is the same for all the rear sights though the handguards are different. Is your new Krag a sporterized rifle without a handguard or is it still in military configuration? If it's still military I'd certainly keep all the original parts tucked away somewhere and use the replacement parts for shooting.
We'd love to see some pictures of your rifle!
Tom P.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Kentucky windage is required with the 1892 and 1896 rear sights. I agree with Gunboat... If you intend to shoot it in competition or hunt with it, replace with a 1901 or 1902 sight and applicable hand guard. If you're just shooting it for fun at the range, I would leave it as is and just compensate.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

To me, at least on the practice range, group size is, by far, the most important indicator of your, and the rifle, and the load, capabilities. Group placement (certainly important for matches and hunting) can come later - especially where any serious physical change to the gun may be needed.

Pentz

Post by Pentz »

My 1896 was purchased for it's gorgeous bore, and it shoots just as well. However, holding off the black at 8 o'clock doesn't make it for competitive cast boolit match shooting. I found a 1902 rear sight, adjustable for windage, and now my "alibi" is gone - it's up to my old eyes now :'(

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I just know the collector's will cringe and cry out, but the only windage adjustment available with the 96 sight is to ever so slightly bend the front sight blade in the direction opposite the way you want the bullet to go. I have done it, the steel blade isn't likely to snap. Depends on how far off your are, but mine only took a few thousandths at most. I used a small crescent wrench. I am not responsible should you try it and break your blade though.