1895 SRC

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Florida Native

1895 SRC

Post by Florida Native »

Hello all. I inherited one of my grandfather's Krags about 25 years ago. My grandfather was a competitor in the National Matches from about 1901 to 1913. He was a Militia officer prior to the National Guard Act. At one time his photo was displayed on the Florida National Guard's website.

My sister has his rifle with iron sights which I suspect was the one he shot with in the National Matches. I have his carbine serial# 27696. The date on the receiver is 1895. The stock cartouche however is 1897. It appears to be a correct saddle ring stock with no evidence it was ever equipped with sling swivels. The only modification he made to it was the addition of a peep sight. It even has a brass muzzle cover which may be original to the gun. Anyone have any information on the mismatch of the receiver date and the stock cartouche?

98src

Re: 1895 SRC

Post by 98src »

We will need pictures! It was not listed in SRS, but it is very close to some 1ST US Vol Cavalry carbines. The stock would be suspect if it has a 1897 cartouche without a saddle ring ( or the inletting ).

Florida Native

Post by Florida Native »

I guess I wasn't clear. The stock has the saddle ring but there is no evidence of sling swivels having ever been there. I' ll shoot some pictures later today. The number is also 2 digits from a Rough Riders gun.

JOHN42768

Post by JOHN42768 »

Hello and welcome. If I'm reading your description correct,you are stating as to it not having sling swivels which would be correct, but you don't mention the carbine swivel. Does it have the sling bar/ring on the left hand side? The Krag 1896 Carbine could be marked 1895, 1896 or Model 1896. The early stocks with the thin wrist were very easily broken. So a replacement is not uncommon at all as long as all other requirements are in place. Photos or other descriptions are needed. Congrats, John P.S. looks like you got back while I was composing.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

A carbine barrel will not properly accept the (standard) Krag brass muzzle cover. By any chance has the front of the barrel - ahead of the sight base - been turned down to rifle muzzle diameter?

Florida Native

Post by Florida Native »

The muzzle does not appear to have been turned down. I need to get new batteries for my calipers so I can't give you the diameter at this time. I am waiting for my DSLR batteries to recharge so I can post some photos. Thanks for your input.

Florida Native

Post by Florida Native »

Hello and welcome. If I'm reading your description correct,you are stating as to it not having sling swivels which would be correct, but you don't mention the carbine swivel. Does it have the sling bar/ring on the left hand side? The Krag 1896 Carbine could be marked 1895, 1896 or Model 1896. The early stocks with the thin wrist were very easily broken. So a replacement is not uncommon at all as long as all other requirements are in place. Photos or other descriptions are needed. Congrats, John P.S. looks like you got back while I was composing.

The carbine swivel and ring are present. Additionally the stock appears to be tiger striped at least from the forearm to about half way up the shoulder stock. Don't know if this is a common variant. I also found there is also a second cartouche just behind the trigger guard. As soon as my batteries recharge I'll post photos.

Florida Native

Post by Florida Native »

I found some photos I'd forgotten I'd taken. More to come when the battery is charged.ImageImageImageImageImage

Florida Native

Post by Florida Native »

A few early National Match pieces and photos. If you look carefully at the undated photo you will see a Krag receiver. That gun is resting on my grandfather's shoulder.ImageImageImageImageImage

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Neat medals and pics! Which one is your grandfather?