Lined out serial number

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
CZ Mauser

Lined out serial number

Post by CZ Mauser »

Glad to have found the KCA forum. Recently added a model 1898 Krag to my US military arms collection. It is the first for me. Overall, the rifle is in excellent condition. My only concern is that the serial number is lined out. I've researched every conceivable web site/post and books at my disposal and did not have any luck locating a source or information. I'll post a picture soon. Thx in advance

psteinmayer

Re: Lined out serial number

Post by psteinmayer »

Welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of Krags!

Lined out? As in - someone took a chisel or some other tool, and defaced the serial number??? I don't want to rain on your parade, but if that is the case, I would suspect it's stolen and the serial number is obliterated to hide the rifle's true ownership. I would check the rifle very carefully, and especially note the serial numbers on the bolt handle, magazine gate, etc. If the rifle has matching numbers, then that would be a good way to get a correct number.

CZ Mauser

Post by CZ Mauser »

There no numbers on the magazine gate and the bolt handle is a single digit number. Check out the pic with the post. The serial number is decipherable and the dealer I bought it from used it as part of my purchase documentation.Image

Thomassen

Post by Thomassen »

334048 - still legible. But why was it lined out? Hmmmm.....
Rich T

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Yes, why - certainly does not obscure the number anywhere near enough to make it unreadable, so there must have been another intent, but what? A puzzle, for sure.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Agreed! I'm at a loss...

Christopher K.

Post by Christopher K. »

Possible factory reject that got out?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Possibly someone's attempt to show the arm was no longer U.S. Government property? (I've never seen this practice on a Krag, before).

Rick H.

Post by Rick H. »

Not to say that there aren't some very knowledgeable individuals on this forum, but you may consider posting your question and pic on some of the other quality forums to try and get an answer. CMP Forum may be a really good start. A very interesting situation you have there and one that begs for a proper answer.

Rick