Krag bolt strength

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
remington

Krag bolt strength

Post by remington »

I might be wrong, but years ago someone did an article on proving the strength of a Krag bolt. He had the loads used and photo of what he did. Have you any idea who this was and how I could find the write up. Thanks much.

psteinmayer

Re: Krag bolt strength

Post by psteinmayer »

I don't remember any reports on the strength of the bolt, but I there was a study regarding the strength of the Krag receiver/action. It's very interesting reading where a Krag was tested to destruction. I have included a link below.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=251923&page=2

gunboat57

Post by gunboat57 »

In the above link the testing was done on a Krag whose bolt had the front lug ground off. Any sources for tests done on intact Krag bolts/actions?
Tom P.

kragluver

Post by kragluver »

A year or so ago a gentleman described testing a Krag action to destruction after grinding off the forward lug. The results were interesting. The bolt was held firmly by the "safety lug" provided by the bolt handle. Failure was at the receiver ring but the bolt held fast.

P.O. Ackley documents testing a couple of Krag actions to destruction in his writings "Strength of Military Rifles". The failure mechanism in the Krag was very similar to that described above with the receiver ring failing but the bolt holding fast. The Krag action was plenty strong for the cartridges of the 1890s for which it was designed.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Kragluver, please see the link I provided above... it is the report you speak of.

kragluver

Post by kragluver »

Yep - I realized that after I posted.