Norwegian Sporter Krag

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Bob_S

Re: Norwegian Sporter Krag

Post by Bob_S »

Do yourself a favor and forget about Varget. It is notoriously inconsistent in light loads (which yours are). If you want full-power loads, the favored powder in 6.5x55 is Reloder 22; a slow powder, but double based. The nitroglycerin content helps ignition consistently. I still like good ole 4895; it seems to work in just about everything down to loading densities of about 60% (except maybe 6mm Lee Navy!)

Resp'y,
Bob S.
USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

Thomassen

Post by Thomassen »

Thanks, Bob.
Rich T

gunboat57

Post by gunboat57 »

Rich, is it possible for you to seat your bullets far enough out to engage the rifling and so hold the brass back against the bolt face when firing? In other words, seat the bullet far enough out that there is some resistance to closing the bolt. You might have excess headspace by SAAMI standards but after fire forming, the headspace issue goes away if you only partially resize thereafter.

Another way to do it is to run a .30 caliber expander plug through your brass so that the neck is too big to chamber. Then, a little bit at a time, size the neck down with your 6.5 die until the brass will just chamber with some resistance. Load with a small amount of fast powder and something granular like cream of wheat or ground coffee. Point the muzzle up and fire. I've used this technique successfully to fire form 7x57 and 8x58RD brass for two rolling block rifles. If you're interested in trying this, I'll search around for more info on the powder type and quantity to use.
Tom P.

Thomassen

Post by Thomassen »

Going to take a break from working on my 6.5x55 Krag. I'm waiting on casting equipment for my US Krag. Need to shift gears.

But ...... I'll be back. :)
Rich T

Thomassen

Post by Thomassen »

OK, I admit it. I'm addicted and am a prime candidate foe the KCAA (Krag Collectors Anonymous Association). I ordered a Fosters 6.5x55 Fiekd Gage and it came today. The original bolt almost closes on the Field Gauge. I has purchased a backup bolt sleeve from Numrich and this bolt will not close either. It actually fits better than the original . I'm waiting on some cerrosafe to do a chamb cast. Will post those results when I have them.

So..... No headspace problems. :)
Rich T

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

There's something missing here. Winchester has had some runs of primers that blow out at the edges. Combine that with the low density loads and the results you're seeing are normal. The primers have enough oommph to drive the case forward to the shoulder, but the load doesn't produce enough pressure to stretch the case back or seal the neck. Can we get a closer view of some of the failed primers? Well, let me see how close I can get first. Nope, can't blow it up enough, there should be some examples of the primer failures pictured either here, or on Culvers. If the primers are the problem, it should have happened on some of your other loads too, and if the bolt won't close on a field gauge, you should be ok. But up the charge a smidge, up to the 32.5 start charge Hodgdon recommends and try a different brand of primer for now. Even at that level sealing of the neck is going to be iffy. I wish folks would stop trying to take it easy on the old iron. Results can range from disastrous to catastrophic. Winchester will replace the defective primers, go to their website, they have an area where you can submit pics and apply for replacements.

http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1385397350

Thomassen

Post by Thomassen »

I'm remembering that a few of tlhe primers went in a little to easily. I had backed out primers (all) even with 35 grain Varget loads.
Rich T

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

It's evident from your fired cases that you have no headspace problems (and no chamber problems either). What you have is a failure to shovel in enough coal to get the boiler up to steam!

I get the feeling you're afraid of your Norwegian Krag. If true, don't expect the kind of success available to those willing to trust the design and materials that make it much stronger than you seem to believe.

Thomassen

Post by Thomassen »

Parashooter - not afraid, just a rookie trying to figure things out with somewhat limited resources. That's why I appreciate this forum.

I have a couple of other powder choices: IMR 4895 and IMR 4064. Any suggestions on loads using these powders?
Rich T

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I think you'll find the groove diameter of your rifle to be much larger than the standard .264 bullet, so the pressure will be quite a bit lower than predicted by Quick Load. I'm sorry I missed the part where you said you had increased the load. The amount that the primers are backing out isn't bad, it has to be close to spec if the bolt won't close on the field gauge. I won't suggest you exceed the max loads shown by Hodgdon, but I imagine they worked up their loads in a much tighter bore. If it was me, I'd keep working up until I got a case that sealed and expanded enough to push the primers back in like they're supposed to. But that's me.

You're not doing bad for a beginner, your observation that the cases are expanding to grip the chamber wall is good, but they're not stretching back to reseat the primer. Since you've noted the cases are not stretching, gunboats suggestion for keeping the primers against the boltface are good ones. That will keep the stretching forward of the head that causes incipient separation away. I doubt a different powder is going to make much of a difference until you either get up to the pressure it takes to stretch the case or make use of the suggestions and form them to the proper shoulder/bolface dimension. And don't forget to try a different brand of primer and look at the bad examples I linked to above, see if any of yours are similar. You'll get it working for you.