Help wth Identifying a Krag Carbine

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
21_delta

Help wth Identifying a Krag Carbine

Post by 21_delta »

Hello

I am new to this forum (and to Krag collecting in general) and need some help with verification.

To start, I recently purchased a Springfield Model 1899 Krag Carbine, serial number 287115, in seemingly good condition. My research thus far places this carbine at a 1900 manufacture date. Is this correct? Also, does this serial number match to a carbine? I'm hoping that this isn't a cut-down rifle - from what I see it doesn't seem like it, but I'm far, far from an expert. Basically, can anyone help in verifying that this is a true 1899 Krag Carbine, and not a fake or cut-down? (Overall Length of 42"; Barrel Length of 21 7/8")

After more research, I found what I think are some discrepancies and inaccuracies based on other examples I found on the internet. I am trying to return this Krag to its original issued state (as best I can) and need some help identifying the changes necessary to bring it back to original. Here's what I see:

First, the rear sight. To me, it looks like a 1902, but I can't locate the "C" mark. Did they make these without stamping the "C" or is this not a true Krag sight. Furthermore, what rear sight belongs to this Krag?

Secondly, the upper handguard is missing. What type of handguard belongs to this carbine (assuming it is equipped with the correct rear sight)?

Third, the front blade sight seems to be some type of band, which I believe is incorrect. What type of front sight belongs to this carbine?

Fourth, this carbine is equipped with sling mounts. Was this a feature available during this manufacture period. In particular, is this the correct barrel band, stamped with a "U"?

Fifth, two holes had been previously drilled and plugged on the underside of the stock, forward of the trigger. Any idea what purpose this served?

I will post some pictures as soon as I figure out how.

Thank you for your help and consideration. It is truly appreciated.

21_delta

Re: Help wth Identifying a Krag Carbine

Post by 21_delta »

Krag Model 1899 CarbineImage

21_delta

Post by 21_delta »

Front SightImage

21_delta

Post by 21_delta »

Upper Handguard - missingImage

21_delta

Post by 21_delta »

Barrel Band marked "U" with sling swivelImage

21_delta

Post by 21_delta »

Proof marksImage

21_delta

Post by 21_delta »

Rear sight - top viewImage

21_delta

Post by 21_delta »

Rear sight - side viewImage

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

The ramp of your rear sight looks to be the proper height for it to be a model 1898 rifle sight. If the model is 1899, it was once a carbine, no 1899 rifles were made.

gunboat57

Post by gunboat57 »

I'm a little confused by that rear sight. The ramp looks like it has the height to be an 1898 but the piece that has the rear sight notch (whatever you call it) looks like a 1902. A case of mix and match?Image
Tom P.