American Rifleman Photo

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
butlersrangers

American Rifleman Photo

Post by butlersrangers »

The January, 2014, American Rifleman, (page 26), has this "circa 1920" image of a pit crew at Camp Perry, courtesy of Civilian Marksmanship Program. (I think the picture might be a bit earlier than 1920). Neat picture! Support the NRA and CMP.Image

gunboat57

Re: American Rifleman Photo

Post by gunboat57 »

From their headgear I thought it was earlier than 1920, too. Wasn't the "Montana Peak" campaign hat adopted around 1911? And the fella on the right looks like he's wearing an older hat that's had the crown reshaped, the dimples look more Canadian than U.S.
Tom P.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

"Montana Peak" was one of the styles seen in Spanish American War pictures when men seemed to express their individuality by the way they shaped and wore their hats. The "Montana Peak" had the virtue of shedding rather than collecting rain. As 'gunboat' notes, the gentleman on the right seems to have blocked his hat to his liking, rather than it being an issued style. All of the men have hats that look earlier than 1920 or WW1. The Campaign hats of 1914 to WW1 always appear pretty much as issued to me. The individual style is gone. Image

gunboat57

Post by gunboat57 »

Looks like the two soldiers in the center of the Camp Perry pic are wearing 1902 campaign hats? I think the guy on the left just sat on his.
Tom P.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Or somebody sat on it for him!Image