My Grandfather with his Krag

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
OR Hunter

My Grandfather with his Krag

Post by OR Hunter »

I wanted to share this old picture I found of my grandfather and his brother after a successful deer hunt. My grandpa is on the left with the Krag. There are so many good things in this picture - plaid wool hunting clothes, iron sights, the deer tied to the hood of the car. Those were the good 'ol days! I'm not sure when the picture was taken, but I suspect it was in the late 30's. Maybe someone who knows vintage cars can help figure out when it was. Anyways, I never knew my grandpa hunted with a Krag until I found this picture. Unfortunately, the rifle didn't get passed down in the family, but I do have another one that I bought recently that's very similar. This really makes me want to take it out on a nostalgic hunting trip this fall.Image

butlersrangers

Re: My Grandfather with his Krag

Post by butlersrangers »

Great Picture! Thanks for sharing.

knute

Post by knute »

The photo is a great find and family treasure. Yes, it is too bad the rifle is gone from the family. My grandfather traded an 1866 yellow boy for a .22 pistol years ago. As for me, I have never given up a gun I ever owned. I have five sons to borrow them out to and some day pass them on to, including my Krag sporter. Congratulations on your find.

Bob_S

Post by Bob_S »

Car looks like a 1946-47 Plymouth. Very distintive grill.

Great pic, treasure it!

Resp'y,
Bob S.
USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

OR Hunter

Post by OR Hunter »

Thanks Bob! I guess I was a little off on my estimate. So this picture would have been post WWII, maybe late 40's to early 50's. My Father was a boy at the time, and wouldn't join in the hunt for a few more years. This picture would have been taken in Minnesota, probably north of Minneapolis. Notice the other rifle in the picture. Looks to me like a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight. Sure would like to have that one too!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

OR Hunter: I was expecting this photo was taken in an area with severe winter temps. I noticed the canvas cover partially blocking off the grill. I think your great-uncle has a standard weight model 70. There appears to be a raised band on the barrel at the rear sight.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

OR Hunter: I believe your Grandfather is in front of a 1941 Plymouth, with optional fog lamps, cold weather grill cover, and Deer.Image

Bob_S

Post by Bob_S »

Ooops! I was off by a few years! Getting old, memory ain't what it used to be. ;)

Resp'y,
Bob S.
USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

Very nice, I like old pictures that show family history.
Steve
The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

OR Hunter

Post by OR Hunter »

Last weekend I found another picture of Grandpa and his Krag. On the back of this faded photo was written "Me trying to shoot left handed". I'm not sure why he was doing that, maybe just as a challenge. Sure wish I could have been there with him.