New member with 1896 Krag

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Littlejohn

New member with 1896 Krag

Post by Littlejohn »

Hello all. Very interesting site you have here. I recently acquired an 1896 Krag rifle, which has been sporterized. I don't plan to restore it, as it's too far gone, in my opinion. I haven't fired it yet, but I picked up some ammo at a gun show today, so it will bark again, soon.
The only things I want to do are to get some iron sights and sling swivels back on it.
Thanks for providing all the valuable info on the old Krag.
img
img
img
img

butlersrangers

Re: New member with 1896 Krag

Post by butlersrangers »

Littlejohn: Welcome to the KCA forum. You have a nice looking 'sporterized' Krag. Your rifle was produced around September 1896. Sling swivels and rear sights show up all the time on ebay, gunBroker, and at gun shows. 1903 Springfield swivels will also work. Your best front sight option is a 1903 Springfield band & blade. Your Krag will be fine for hunting and range work. Enjoy the scope option. You get use to the off-set. (I like an old K-3 Weaver on mine).Image

Littlejohn

Post by Littlejohn »

Thanks for the reply. Interesting to know when it was made. I got a start on the sights and swivel replacement today. I went back to the gun show and purchased an 1892 rear sight, and a 1903 rear swivel. I like the idea of the 03 front sight band, however, the bands seem to be a little small for the barrel diameter. I wonder if they can be reamed to fit the barrel.
Here are a couple of before and after pics.ImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I don't know how long your barrel is Littlejohn. It is not unusual for a Krag barrel to be lathe turned and 'stepped' at the muzzle in order to install a 1903 sight band. Once the band is in place the step is hidden. (It would look something like this).Image

Littlejohn

Post by Littlejohn »

I don't know how long your barrel is Littlejohn. It is not unusual for a Krag barrel to be lathe turned and 'stepped' at the muzzle in order to install a 1903 sight band. Once the band is in place the step is hidden. (It would look something like this).

The barrel is 23 inches long. I haven't measured the OD at the muzzle yet. Turning the barrel to fit the sight would be doable, I work in a machine shop. I wonder if it should be turned to a diameter which would allow a slip on fit, or a light press fit? How is the sight retained on the barrel? Looks like there might be a rivet or pin in it.

gunboat57

Post by gunboat57 »

Littlejohn, you might read the thread I started back on March 9 called "Sight Offset Question". I installed a 1903A3 front sight on my sporterized Krag. In a nutshell, the 1903A3 front sights that were taken off Springfield rifles (from Gunparts Inc.) had expanded to a perfect slip fit over my Krag muzzle. I posted my measurements. So if you get a used 1903A3 front sight, you might not need to turn a step on your muzzle.
Tom P.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The 1903 front sight 'band' is held on by a cross pin. A shallow notch is filed across the barrel to allow the cross pin to lock the band in place. Getting everything oriented properly is more important than the tightness of the 'band to barrel' fit. (Some people increase the I.D. of the 1903 front sight band so it will slip onto the Krag barrel without the need to machine a step).

Littlejohn

Post by Littlejohn »

Littlejohn, you might read the thread I started back on March 9 called "Sight Offset Question". I installed a 1903A3 front sight on my sporterized Krag. In a nutshell, the 1903A3 front sights that were taken off Springfield rifles (from Gunparts Inc.) had expanded to a perfect slip fit over my Krag muzzle. I posted my measurements. So if you get a used 1903A3 front sight, you might not need to turn a step on your muzzle.

For some reason, I haven't been able to find that thread. I'll look again, sounds interesting. Thanks.

ETA Found it. The 03 sight looks good. I think I'll go that route also.

gunboat57

Post by gunboat57 »

Just to make it clear as mud, the 1903 sight can be attached by cutting a groove in the barrel for the cross pin. The 1903A3 sight I used is supposed to have a separate key in a slot milled in the barrel. But I held mine on with a set screw. So your method of attachment will depend on whether you get an 03 or an 03A3 front sight.
Also, if you order from Numrich, it looks like their 03 sights are new and may be a bit smaller in diameter than the used 03A3 sights they sell.
Keep us informed of your progress!
Tom P.

Littlejohn

Post by Littlejohn »

Just to make it clear as mud, the 1903 sight can be attached by cutting a groove in the barrel for the cross pin. The 1903A3 sight I used is supposed to have a separate key in a slot milled in the barrel. But I held mine on with a set screw. So your method of attachment will depend on whether you get an 03 or an 03A3 front sight.
Also, if you order from Numrich, it looks like their 03 sights are new and may be a bit smaller in diameter than the used 03A3 sights they sell.
Keep us informed of your progress!

Thanks for the information on the 03 sights. Are there different height blades available for those?
I've been playing around with a CAD program, and drew up a sight base that would allow for different heights and styles of blades to be used. Wouldn't take too long to buzz one out on a CNC mill.
ImageImage