Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
ekpugh

Post by ekpugh »

Greettings to all. I have shot and owned two 30-40 Krags since I was a kid. I learned to shoot and reload with my father using a Beldin and Mull straight line reloading tool. My father was a cop in Wellsville Ohio when Pretty Boy Floyd was killed near his home town. He was on a posse that TFloyd's driver and pursued Floyd. I am attaching a photo that resides in the Library of Congress of my Father (seated center front) with his Krag. The man to his right holds another Krag of my fathers. I have both. The photo offers some providence. Checking the serial number tells me that the center rifle was made in 1897Image

butlersrangers

Re: New Member

Post by butlersrangers »

Welcome ekpugh. That's a really great photo of your Dad and his Krags!
I gotta join a Posse (with Krags and Fedora Hats). The uniformed officer's sporterized Moisin is pretty neat too; it is probably a Remington or Westinghouse back in that era. I also like the 1903 Springfield leaning against the wall and the 1903 sporter in the other Deputy's hands.

ekpugh

Post by ekpugh »

Here are more up to date photos. I went to the range today with one of the Krags. This one was never shot when I was a kid and this was the first time I shot it today. Having done some research it appears that the rifle was built in 1897 but the rear sight seems to be that of the 1901 variation. The bore of this rifle is immaculate. The load I was using were reloads of 150 gr. Sierra Round Nose with 47.0 gr. of 4350. Bullet was seated 20 thousands off the lands. I spent most of my shots on getting used to the irons. Well need to refine my technique some more. It is a fun gun to shoot at plastic water bottles and cycling the bolt is a blast. ImageImage

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

First, let me say Welcome to the forum!

The rear sights on both Krags in the older picture, and on the Krag in the new picture are the 1902 rear sight (my personal favorite).

In the older photo, one Krag looks to be all correct. The other looks to have the stock cutdown, but the barrel looks like it's still 30 inches, which means the barrel was not shortened. Have you measured them? Drop a cleaning rod down the barrel against the closed bolt... mark and measure. I'm just interested, that's all.

ekpugh

Post by ekpugh »

I know the other one was not cut down as my father told me I could always put a military stock back on it.

I do have a question about the cartouche. The stylized P with the number 10 above it on the underside of the stock at the rear of the trigger guard. Can you tell me what it signifies?

docbob

Post by docbob »

Welcome ekpugh,
Now that's really making history come alive. That is one interesting photo with all the various military rifles in it. I see an old Mosin Nagant in there.
Thanks for sharing with us.
DocBob

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

ekpugh: The stylized 'P' signifies the Krag was tested with proof cartridges at Springfield. The number "10" likely identified a stock finisher or sub-inspector.

ekpugh

Post by ekpugh »

Welcome ekpugh,
Now that's really making history come alive. That is one interesting photo with all the various military rifles in it. I see an old Mosin Nagant in there.
Thanks for sharing with us.
DocBob

the funny thing is that none of these rifles are really old here.

ekpugh

Post by ekpugh »

ekpugh: The stylized 'P' signifies the Krag was tested with proof cartridges at Springfield. The number "10" likely identified a stock finisher or sub-inspector.

I find no other markings on rifle and stock does not appear to have any usage. Is it possible the rifle was never issued?

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Not so (assuming that they followed the procedures used on the trapdoor). Barrel proofing marks - for the overloads - are stamped, very carefully, following a rigid code of procedure, only so many barrels at the various stations at any given time, etc., so as to avoid mistakenly passing a failed item, on the barrels themselves.

The (P) on the stock signifies that the arm has passed a 5-round functioning check with service cartridges, and is otherwise suitable for acceptance into ordnance stores. For some reason, rear sights were not installed until after the (P) was applied.