Non lead hunting loads

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Rands

Non lead hunting loads

Post by Rands »

I presently live in California, and because of the lead bullet ban, my big game hunting with my beloved Krag rifles has hit a snag. I have done a great deal of reading trying determine a decent load with "non toxic" bullet.

Much of my research has shown that, the Barnes 200 grain Spire point all copper bullets has poor accuracy beyond 150 yards due to low density to length. Has anyone tried the Lapua Natualis 180 grain round nose bullet with success? If so, I would be very appreciative of any information on the Naturalis or any other non lead bullet being used.

Presently, I am loading either Sierra, or Hornady 220 grain round nose over Winchester 760 powder with wonderful results. While I have numerous rifles that allow me to use non lead bullets for big game, it just isn't the same in the field without having my Krag with me.

Thank you!

butlersrangers

Re: Non lead hunting loads

Post by butlersrangers »

Rands: What kind of mischief have they promoted in California -- "Benign Bullets"? I would suppose any bullet should be 'toxic' to its intended target!

Rands

Post by Rands »

Welcome to the insanity of California! Only here, can the State mandate "non-toxic" bullets! Apparently, the Fish and Game Commission doesn't understand the nature of why bullets are used!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

In theory, I understand the reasoning... just as they don't allow lead shot used for waterfowl in Michigan (steel shot only). However, I don't understand what the significance is with bullets in big game. Do big game in California try to hide in swamps???

Anyway... shouldn't a 180 gr all-copper bullet have the same weight and dimensions as a comparable 180 gr jacketed lead bullet? if so, then it stands to reason that the ballistic data should be similar. But we all know that all things are not equal. It may be that you need to use a different powder... such as 4064 or 4895. The results may be better. Personally, I like 4064 for use with a 180 gr bullet anyway...

Food for thought!

Rands

Post by Rands »

I had not considered the powder selection as of yet. Winchester 760 has worked so very well, I hadn't considered looking at something different. Of course, this is under the guise, if its not broken......

Using Winchester 760, and the 220 grain RN, has produced a accurate, well mannered, yet hard hitting load. Of course, the 220 grain RN bullets are so long for caliber, the bullet penetration is amazing.

As to the requirement of "non toxic" bullets, this requirement was based on a very poor "study" conducted by the University of Santa Cruz, with the belief that the California Condor's decrease in numbers was based upon, Condors eating lead bullets in offal piles.

This "study" was absolute nonsense, as American Turkey Vultures eating the same offal have increased greatly in numbers in the same time frame. So, for 36 birds, that have now migrated to Arizona, the State has nearly eliminated all big game hunting. And, as funding for Game Wardens is via license sales, the number of Game Wardens have been reduced to 138 for the entire State.

Hopefully, I will soon correct the overall problem by leaving the formerly Golden State.

gnoahhh

Post by gnoahhh »

Oh woe is the plight of the California hunter, indeed. Were it me, I would investigate monolithic bullets in the 150gr. weight range. Their length will be akin to a 180gr. lead/copper bullet, while being lighter and faster than a 180. One thing to consider though is that the manufacturers of these 'new' bullets don't have we shooters of hoary old rounds like .30-40's in mind when they design them. To attain significant performance, one may well need to load hard up against the safe limits of our rifles. Perhaps a 130gr. monolithic bullet can be considered as well? I know guys who are shooting them in their .300 Savages with outstanding success on game animals.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Wow! No wonder the Condors re-located to Arizona. Maybe California can legislate hypoallergenic bullets made out of gold or silver?

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

The silver bullets would be fabulous for hunting werewolves! Heehee

If you're looking to shoot 220 gr round nose bullets... you might consider IMR 4350, which is close in burn rate and ballistic characteristics to the original 30-40 (USA-30) cartridge. I'm not too familiar with Win 760... but if you're shooting a heavier bullet - say 200 gr or higher, you want a relatively slow burn. This will give better accuracy with these bullet weights. 4064 would work with a 220 gr load, but burns too fast to be effective, resulting in poor accuracy.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I could have some fun with the game wardens out there! Babbitts marked Genuine don't have lead in them and there's a host of other tin based babbitts that don't. I'd become a cast bullet hunter, especially considering the relatively low working pressure of the Krag. The burden of proof is on the prosecution, let them pay for the analysis that would be needed for proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

gnoahhh

Post by gnoahhh »

That's true, insofar as it goes. Babbitt metals are hard as sin, and while they may give great accuracy, they won't expand on impact with flesh. Hollowpointing would help, but then you would get shattering- which isn't much better. The solution? Add lead to soften it up. Oops, we keep coming back to the Evil Element!