Suggestions wanted, please?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
S.B.

Suggestions wanted, please?

Post by S.B. »

If you were going to mount an apenture sight on an already modified(cut down rifle) Krag carbine, would you just go with no top handguard or buy a different one without rear sight cutout, for the purpose of making a better sight picture for a 65 year old man? Or whatever. This rifle has the '03 front sight on it. Give me your suggestions, please? Pictures would help, I love pictures of Krags.
Steve
The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

gnoahhh

Re: Suggestions wanted, please?

Post by gnoahhh »

You'll need to remove the barrel sight regardless, and it's up to you whether you want to leave a handguard in place after that. Personally I would leave the handguard off at that point, but that's me.

cdagnese

Post by cdagnese »

Steve:

If you're 65 and your Krag's already been chopped up, you might consider mounting a #2 Weaver scope rail on the upper left side of the receiver with a good scope. After 40, the eyes are never what they used to be!

Carl D'Agnese

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Steve: Practical and least expensive solution is to keep 1903 front sight, forget about hand-guard and original barrel mounted rear sight, and obtain 'No-Drill' Redfield #102k or Pacific k-1 peep sight, and install. Peep sight is pretty benign for older eyes.Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Redfield:Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Sporterized Krags being made more user friendly.Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

S.B.: I would not have a Krag receiver drilled for a scope mount. This totally ruins the Collector value. There are a lot of sporterized Krags floating around that have already been drilled. They should be cheap because they are not very desireable to most people with an interest in Krags. Two years ago, I picked up an 1898 Cavalry Carbine that had scope mount holes and a barrel dove-tailed for a Marble's sight. The price was quite reasonable and it had a mint bore. I took the (long) Carbine Stock off of it to restore an 1899 Carbine. I restocked the 1898 with a cut down rifle stock and 'covered' the ugly scope mount holes with a Weaver side-mount and an old Weaver k-3 scope. It is an accurate Range Gun and easy on the eyes.Image

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

Sporterized Krags being made more user friendly.

Have the offer to buy a Redfield model 100K but, not familiar with this and not sure it's no drill? I've already got a Lyman that mounts on the other side may just use it.
Steve

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

S.B. - The Redfield model 100K sight requires drilling of the receiver to install. Although this sight has some virtues, IMHO, drilling for oil is good and drilling a Krag receiver is bad! (Picture of #100 on a Mauser. Krag is similar).Image

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

Thanx, butlersrangers. Just as I thouught.
Steve