ID an action cover?

For poking fun and off topic subjects
former173rd

ID an action cover?

Post by former173rd »

Picked up at a garage sale this weekend...is it real? and how would I go about pricing it (other than EBay)? Thanks...
https://postimg.cc/gallery/jj9c22qs/d99a2961/

olderthansome

Re: ID an action cover?

Post by olderthansome »

I looks like it's a genuine article. It seems to have at least one of the original rawhide ties, too. The legend inside side is, I think, correct for the a U.S. action cover, but I don't know how you can confirm it is for a Krag. I don't know how many model rifles they were intended for other than the Krag, but it would be logical to have made the same or similar design for a 1903, if they, indeed, did such a thing. The Rock Island mark confirms it for the U.S. and that Arsenal was making Krag leather cartridge boxes for the Krag that could have also been early issues for the 1903.

The Enfield rifles also had a similar cover in use during the same and a little later period, but the wording for the cover placement was, I think, a little different and it closes with snaps rather than rawhide.

As to value, I paid $15 for one about 25 years ago and I have seen them listed since (2015) for $95. The only one I have seen actually sell at auction was in 2011 for $75. Todays values will probably be lower.

former173rd

Post by former173rd »

Thanks for the input. Be nice if it was actually id'd as a Krag accessory. Anyway, I'll see what others have to say and probably list in KCA Classifieds at a reasonable price...thanks again!

Whig

Post by Whig »

Mallory's first edition has a page regarding these breech covers.

former173rd

Post by former173rd »

Thanks Whig! an interesting read for such a seemingly insignificant item. Maybe OK for ice and snow, not so much for jungle ops...canvass, unless properly, and often, treated goes south fast. I'm also surprised at the shoddy workmanship (seams) on this, coming from RIA. Wondering if 32K made, how many in even decent condition exist?...and on the market. I haven't been able to find one, except a repro..Thanks again for your trouble, sir!

Whig

Post by Whig »

You're welcome. It's a nice small part of a Krag accoutrement collection!