Preferred sight for shooting-1901 vs 1902

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Beachbumbob

Preferred sight for shooting-1901 vs 1902

Post by Beachbumbob »

Have the opportunity to purchase an 1898 rifle in the 300K+ range. Actually have the choice of two. Both are VG++ condition and at this point, only difference I can tell is the rear sight. One is 1901 and other is 1902. I've shot the 03 Springfield for almost 50 years and understand the 1901 sight very well and actually like it, but the 1902 sight intrigues me.

Which is the preferred sight for recreational shooting? Would be mostly paper at up to 300 yards and the gong at 300. While I know this is kind of an apples and oranges thing, I sure would like to hear from experienced users.

The plan is to reload using cast bullets so velocities and pressures would be lower than max. Sight graduations wouldn't match actual performance, but range book will keep all that info straight.

Any thoughts on things I should avoid?

Thanks,

Bob

p.s. I know - get both and believe me I'm trying. I've been looking for 'the' Krag for at least 10 years and now they are coming out of the woodwork it seems. Just buy your first one and there they come. :)

butlersrangers

Re: Preferred sight for shooting-1901 vs 1902

Post by butlersrangers »

Beachbumbob: If you like shooting paper targets with the 1903 Springfield sight, you will probably prefer the 1901 Krag sight. I like both sights. For hunting applications and simplicity, I prefer the 1902 sight. Personally, I would buy the rifle with the best bore. Bores being equal, I would buy the rifle having the prettiest wood and metal finish. If the matches you shoot do not require original sights, I would use a Redfield, "no drill", peep sight that requires only removal of the magazine cut-off and no alteration to the stock.Image

Beachbumbob

Post by Beachbumbob »

Thanks for the reply. Like I said in original message they are just about twins except for the sight. I've gaged the MW on both and they are both just less than 3 on the scale. Both have nice matched wood with about same number of bumps and while both are nice, neither just jumps out at you as better. Nice cartouches, etc, etc. Just the different sights which could/should be correct for the period.

I just thought that someone might have had issues with the 1902 sight vs the 1901. I'm comfortable with the 1901 style sight since it is so similar the the M1903 sight so that wouldn't be a big consideration.

I'm kind of leaning towards the 1902 because it is something new, and even this old dog can learn new things as long as it is simple!

Thanks again for letting me into the treasure trove of information and experience in here. Wish I could contribute more............

Bob

madcratebuilder

Post by madcratebuilder »

The 1901 rear sight is very similar to the M1903 rear sight. I prefer the 1901 over the 1902, the small peep on the 1902 is very hard for me.

I fight all barrel mounted rear sights, struggle with all of them. '03, Mauser, Enfield can beat me up good.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I go the other way... I much prefer the 1902. I've only recently started using the peep, but I love the way the 1902 adjusts! I also think target acquisition (sans peep) is better with the 1902. Beyond that, I agree with Butlersrangers... go with the best bore and rifling!

Beachbumbob

Post by Beachbumbob »

After I turned 60 last year I did notice that it wasn't as clear a picture as it had been but my groups haven't opened up that much yet, but I know the time is coming.

Butlersranger is right about the Redfield peep and one of those might find it's way here if I am able to scrounge one up cheap enough, just because.

I learned to shoot almost 50 years ago on a M1903. My best friends dad, who was a serious competitor back in the 30s taught us. So I learned how to use the M1903 sight before I knew about what a peep sight was.

I just picked up a Krag about a month ago after searching for a nice one for about 5 years. Then this dropped into my lap and couldn't turn down the offer.

I've pretty much decided to get the one with the 1902 sight so I can justify the difference to the comptroller! ;D

She's pretty lenient, but that doesn't mean she's a dummy!

Bob

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

She's pretty lenient, but that doesn't mean she's a dummy!

I hear ya Brother!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It is possible to purchase just the 'swing up' peep for the 1902 Krag sight from S&S Firearms (Glendale, N.Y.). If you need a bigger aperture to use this feature on your 1902 sight, obtain a spare 'peep' plate. Drill the poorer condition plate to increase the aperture size. Save the better plate for originality. Also, low power readers with high impact lenses can be used as Shooting Glasses to bring sights into sharp focus. The target bull may be fuzzy, but that doesn't matter much.

docbob

Post by docbob »

Bob,
You had such a pleasant "problem" but think You'll be pleased with your decision. I have a '98 (1901) with the 1901 sight, in probably the same condition as the two rifles You've described. A good friend sold it to me "below cost" along with the cleaning rod sections and oiler in the butt.

Congratulations,
DocBob

Bob_S

Post by Bob_S »

If you own an O'Hare micrometer for the M1905 rear sight of the M1903 rifle (0r the Ray-Vin recent reproduction), you can use that to set the elevation on the M1901 Krag sight precisely and repeatably. Windage is another matter. There is a friction clamp on the front of the M1901 sight ... you move the lever to release the lock, and then you must push the sight with your fingers, and relock the with the lever. There are marks (called "points") on the sight base for reference, and each of these "points" is equal to six minutes of angle: 6 " at 100 yards, 12" at 200 yards, &tc. Needless to say, this method is neither precise, nor very repeatable, but it is simple. You do have the choice between a "notch sight" with the ladder down for less than 400 yards, or the tiny peep with the ladder up.

I have run over the alloted characters, so will have to split this post. Stay tuned ......

Resp'y,
Bob S.

USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067