1916 Krag Rifle

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Roscoe

1916 Krag Rifle

Post by Roscoe »

Hi
I have a rifle that belonged to my father and for years i thought it was Swedish made due to the 6.5 caliber. From the pictures i have seen from your pages i now believe it ti be a Norwegian krag. Can anyone help me as to how to verify this. the manufacture date is 1916 ant the serial number is 15373 . you can see faintly on the stock that there was a serial number as well. The only number i can find on the bolt is .413
any help would be appreciated

Roscoe

Re: 1916 Krag Rifle

Post by Roscoe »

Sorry the serial number is 15413 so i assume the bolt is a number match

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Roscoe: With the serial number 15413 and 1916 receiver date, it is likely you have a Norwegian Model 1912 Carbine. On the receiver ring near the date, there is normally stamped a small crown above a stylized 'K', for Kongsberg Vapenfabrikk (Arms Factory). Your rifle probably looks like attached photo, unless "sporterized".Image

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

The gun looks similar but the stock on the one i have is different. I will try and upload a couple of pictures tonight so that you can have a look. If there were changes done to it it would have to have been a long time in the past because the gun has been around in our family as long as i can remember

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

picsImage

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Ok i think i have posted more than one. Any info would be greatly appreciatedImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Roscoe: From what I see in your pictures, you have the remains of a Model 1912 Norwegian carbine.

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

I assume by remains you mean it has been pieced together.
I was also wondering if it is ok to shoot todays ammo in these rifles or if there are special loads needed. I havent shot the rifle in close to 30 years and i dont think my dad had either. I do know when he used it he just bought normal off the shelf ammo for it.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Roscoe: You did not provide a very good view of your Norwegian Krag in your photos. I notice the wooden hand-guard is missing (the wood that covers the top of the barrel). You did not show the front part of the stock or muzzle area of the barrel. I assume changes were made to these areas when you say " your rifle doesn't look like" the example I posted. Your rear sight and bolt handle are Model 1912 carbine. I don't know the condition of your bore. If it is shoot-able, I would not hesitate to fire 6.5x55mm factory ammo in it. The Norwegian Krag is not regarded as strong an action as the Swedish Mauser. Norma factory ammo is pretty hot. I would personally use factory loads for testing accuracy and getting a brass cartridge case base. I would then reload the brass with 'starting-loads'. I had a sporterized model 1912 a couple of years ago that had a dark and rough bore. It handled factory loads fine but accuracy was nonexistent due to bore condition. I hope your rifle has a good bore.

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

As far as i can tell thebore is good. i know my dad looked after it well and kept it clean. I will see if i can send some more pics showing the areas you mentioned. Thank you much for the info. Also iwanted to ask is there anywhere to track the serial numbers to see where it may have been originally sold. As i said it has always been around our family. I quizzed my brother who is 60 and he seemedto think dad had it as far back as he can remeber as well.