My first Krag is a carbine

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
garra

My first Krag is a carbine

Post by garra »

Hi,

New to this forum been collecting various rifles for a few years mostly European. Just got my first Krag which is a cabine, date on receiver is 1894 and it has a 4 digit serial 9445. Made in Feb of 1895. Stock is a carbine stock (32"), no filling at all has the clip to hold the front band on there. Never had swivels installed. Has to be a cut down unit as the front sight is incorrect, saw that after I bid on it. Hand guard is 9 1/2 long has 2 clips. I haven't removed rifle from stock yet, but I plan to just to see what markings I will find. Attached a couple of pictures.
ImageImage

Top Dean

Re: My first Krag is a carbine

Post by Top Dean »

you have a 1894 Rife that was cutdown as a carbine probily duing the 20's. I have one with the serial number 6351. Over all you have a nice looking rife/carbine, not sure what you paid, but will cost you a small fourtine, new stock, new barrel and all of the rifle hardware. you have the right sight for your rifle from what I can see. I wish to restore mine to the way it was made as I have a Model 1896 Carbine. Hope to help you if you need more help.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

garra: What is the highest number on your model 1896 rear sight ladder? The Rifle version is '18' and common. The Carbine version is marked '20', and also 'C', and worth a lot of money.

garra

Post by garra »

I checked the sight and I am afraid it is a rifle sight, goes to 18 and no C :-[
Took a casting of the bore, not primo, but I was planning on using lead bullets, saw there was a lot variations in sizes slightly greater than .308.
Took it apart last night, the stock apears to be an original carbine, has the 3 holes in the top cavity in the butt. Lightening cut outs on the forestock. Looked for the serial on the side cover as I read that they were IDed up until around 10000, no luck there, maybe worn, not sure where to really look.
Don't plan on even trying to restore it I will just keep a look out for a long rifle. Took me awhile to find my trap door, but one just popped up at the right price, great condition, so I am not in a hurry.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Is it just me, or does it appear to anyone else that there are file marks on top of the extractor hump? Should that be flat?

Just an observation...

Paul

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

It's not just you, should be smoothly rounded, mark of the beast (bubba), I didn't want to be the first! :-(

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The side-plate screw looks long, like its head is projecting from the side-plate. I wonder if the screw is from a Redfield 'no-drill' peep sight that may have been on this altered Krag and the extractor hump was filed down for sight clearance.

tanker

Post by tanker »

The side-plate screw looks long, like its head is projecting from the side-plate. I wonder if the screw is from a Redfield 'no-drill' peep sight that may have been on this altered Krag and the extractor hump was filed down for sight clearance.

I think that is very plausible and quite likely IMO.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I agree... With that screw turned out that far, I think the side plate would unseat somewhat if a load of rounds were in the magazine.

Makes perfect sense that the hump was filed flat for that reason... although my sporter had a Redfield on it and my hump was not filed down... and I never had a problem.

Total Bubba!!!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

garra: A real Krag side-plate screw is not too hard to obtain. If your current screw is a Redfield, someone will really want it, as is. I can send you a Krag screw in exchange, if you need one.