Did Steyr make Krag carbines for Norway in 1897?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
donald 2

Did Steyr make Krag carbines for Norway in 1897?

Post by donald 2 »

Did Steyr make any Krag carbines, not rifles, for Norway in 1897 or so? If Steyr did, what reference book, materials, etc., support this information, if any?

mussonor

Re: Did Steyr make Krag carbines for Norway in 1897?

Post by mussonor »

I've read thru the story about the carabines made by Steyr. Back in 1895 WG Steyr had signed the contract for the rifles made later in 96 97. Engineer Poppe asigned for the contract to supervice asked Krag if a project for carabines should be made at same time as the rifle production were ramped up. Working along with Steyr making drawing would give them almost for free. The m1895 were spproved, but a Steyr production for delivery were never done. However, there is a few carabines found that is made by Steyr. No papers show any orders but it might be that KJGCo the krag and jrgensen company might have ordered some. They are nor stamped Steyr as the rifles. BAck in 1930 a carabine were found in the military arsenal in Norway, but no trace of were it came from. Kongsberg made some check of finish and messures and conluded it ia assembeled from parts made by Steyr. There is also found samples Saoth Africa and England. Krag gave an american naval officere a Steyr carabine as a gift, Admiral Harwley. This carabine is still in US, have the serial 41 stamped. In the Hanevik book, it states that probebly 50 carabines were made.

donald 2

Post by donald 2 »

Mussonor, Thank you very much for this information. This is the type of information which I need. Did Steyr make the 50 carbines described by Hanevik? See the last sentence in your reply to me. Again, thank you very much for your response.
Donald

mussonor

Post by mussonor »

Donald.
Steyr made the 50 carabines, (50 is in the book by Hanevik a best guess in how many were made. Also, it is sead that 10 carabines came to South Africa (Boer war?), were probebly 5 of them were produced by Steyr, and 5 at kongsberg.

donald 2

Post by donald 2 »

Mussonor, I did it. I purchased a Krag carbine made by Steyr in 1897. Can you please send me copies of the title page of the Hanevik book and the page which refers to Steyr making carbines for Norway? My email address is donwiles2@gmail.com. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions about this request. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Don

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Please post pictures!!! Esp. of the markings!

donald 2

Post by donald 2 »

Please see pictures at item 303070736 gunbroker.com. I've not yet received delivery of the carbine. Don

donald 2

Post by donald 2 »

Ned, After you have looked at the pictures, please let me know what you think about the gun. Don

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

donald 2: I looked at the gunbroker pictures of the Norwegian (Steyr) Krag carbine you are purchasing. I am not an expert on Norwegian or Steyr made Krags. My only reference materials are the Mallory and Brophy Krag books, with their chapters on Norwegian and Danish Krags. However, a couple of the gunbroker pictures look very wrong to me (i.e. the two 'plug' screws in the receiver and the 'banded' and crude front sight). It is just my humble opinion but alarm bells are going off, Sorry! Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Does not look arsenal to me.Image