Norwegian target rifle

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
fullbore

Norwegian target rifle

Post by fullbore »

Hi group,

I just joined the forum and couldn't find any references on the search function for Norwegian target rifles.

I just bought off the internet (with a blurry photo) a 'low serial number Springfield Krag sporter'.

When I got to the shop, it was definitely a Krag ... so I came home with the rifle in the photos.

I didn't even notice the size of the bore when at the shop, but now I am sure its a 6.5x55 Norwegian.

Any Norwegain target shooters who could post some history would be very welcome !

I have the single point sling as well, but I can't work out how to attach it.

I could upload some more photos of the left side mount peep sight in another post if I there is any interest.

Cheers,

RobImageImage

mussonor

Re: Norwegian target rifle

Post by mussonor »

Hi.
You got a nice sample of a typical sport norwegian krag setup. The stock is beech laminated, and M30 style stock. The barrel seem to be the 21mm size, and got the latest (Still used) Urmek front sight. The rubber ring left on front of barrel (pic1) is remains of attachement for mirage band, to avoid mirage from increased hot barrel.
Rear sight the popular Schou sight, that actually came as eraly as round 1930. My first krag back in -70 had same schou aluminum sight.
The trigger seems on pic1 to look like a sport adjustable trigger, most probebly made bay S&L, also called "Danskavtrekk". Very popular as it gave better triggger. Alloved weight is now 1,5 kg, If I do not remmember wrong, 1.6 back round 1980.
This setup were used for sport in the DFS program.
Before the electronic target systems, the program were for young people <18years) at 100m, and adolts at 300m (Now range is more common 200m).
The program used to day is simular to how they "used" your krag, sample og program here: http://www.skytterlag2.no/filestore/Skytterlag/sogne-filarkiv/Skyteprogram_bane3.pdf
When shooting the "grunnlag" that have 10 shots (3 standing, 3 sitting, and 4 laying down, a speedloader were prefered to load the 4 last rounds. You startet with 5 in magazine, and 1 in chamber,. Then laying down you put the last 4 in the magazine.
To day the Sauer STR200 is used, some use the krag just for "hsitorical" used.
Yours is a good sample. Enjoy it.

fullbore

Post by fullbore »

Hi Mussonor,

Thanks very much for your reply.

Is there a link to an online shop where I can buy front sight apertures ?

Also, would the "mirage band" be a matte black piece of tape to avoid shine ? The front sight has pins to attach the tape to.

I attached a couple of photos of the peep sight, it is quite unusual. There is a lever elevation like the principle of the Lyman sight on the 1895 Winchester.

However, there is an aluminium dovetail to move the sight rearwards, no need to adjust stock length !

ImageImageImage

mussonor

Post by mussonor »

I do not know if they send abroad, but here is a link for mirageband:

http://www.mamut.net/controls/shop/shops/12/8/default.asp?wwwalias=dagfinrudans&gid=51&subgid=54

and the front sight "korn":
http://www.mamut.net/controls/shop/shops/12/8/default.asp?wwwalias=dagfinrudans&subgid=40&gid=37

fullbore

Post by fullbore »

Well I shot it through mist, drizzle & variable light with a front aperture that was a bit small for the conditions.

I managed to keep the breech pretty dry.

I loaded up to and finished at recommended Swedish starting amounts.

First go was 140gr Sierra Match seated just into the lands using ADI 2209 (H450), 36gr, 38gr & 40gr. I didn't want a slower powder for such light loads.

They all made 1.25 inch groups and the 36gr obturated OK. Probably because the projectile was in the lands pushing up the start pressure.

Next is to take the 40gr load and try seating the bullet back in 10 thou steps to see if I can close up the group a bit. This will initially take the start pressure down slightly as well.

There was a few military rifle club members at the range today and I was offered the opportunity to swap for other pieces they were tuning up for a competition.

I passed on that one ... I am more than happy with this rifle because it does much more than merely look good.

Cheers,

Rob

mussonor

Post by mussonor »

If the barrel is good, you can group well. Attached 5 shoot I made with my krag (5 years ago) simular to yours.

mussonor

Post by mussonor »

Same load in my 100 year newer Sauer 200 STR makes this group (100 meters)

fullbore

Post by fullbore »

I believe this gun could shoot slightly better.

Scores were averages for three five shot groups on each load at 100m.

The trigger is terrible, with variable pressure. Sometimes it is so heavy I have to stop the aim and pause, then when I start again it lets go at moderate pressure. I am wondering if it is some sort of double set trigger but I don't want to disturb the rifle to look.

I had a look at a Sauer wolverine in the shop where I bought my dies. The technology is pretty space-age compared with the Krag.

The military rifle club guys were hoping that the Krag would be making some appearances at their competitions. I think they just want a shot with it.

Cheers,

Rob

mussonor

Post by mussonor »

In the pictures you got of your krag it looks like you got an adjustable trigger, perhaps a S&L. There is a small ajdustment screw at the root of the trigger. Turning this in make the trigger lighter. If the this screw is to far out, you might experience the wariation in weight. Only 1/4 turn should do it. (Normal triggering weight is 1.5kg)

fullbore

Post by fullbore »

Hi Mussonor,

I couldn't find any adjustment in the trigger so I will have to take it out. It looks as if there is a small burr on the sear.

I bought some Burger 140 grain target projectiles. They are much sharper at the front and project 0.08 inch more into the bore before touching the lands.

The Schulz & Larsen barrel must have been throated for secant projectiles. I believe the Burger uses a VLD hybrid.

I will have to load these with plenty of freebore, otherwise they will fall out of the case mouth with their long boat tail as well.

Never mind, it will keep the pressures down.

Cheers,

Rob