My Other Krag!

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
psteinmayer

My Other Krag!

Post by psteinmayer »

A few weeks ago, I posted some pictures of my favorite Krag rifle... Here are pictures of my other Krag, the first Krag I ever purchased, and the one that got me started. I purchased this in 1984 at a pawn shop in Mississippi for 175 bucks. It was pretty much in the condition you see. I knew what it was because my father had a Krag rifle (the afore mentioned "Favorite Krag Rifle"). Sadly, this is not a cut-down, but a true Carbine! The serial number, 277469, has been verified. It shoots well, but is impossible to sight properly because of the missing front sight blade. The rear sight is missing parts as well. The original rear sight is long gone, and the screw holes for the rear sight are filled in. The barrel is clean and bright, with very good rifling. I would actually love to return this to it's original condition, but I have no idea where to obtain a good stock, upper and associated parts. I used this carbine to hunt for a few years, until I stopped hunting in the late 1980s. I presently wish to mount a scope and start shooting it again (Krags are meant to be fired)! Enjoy the pictures!Image

psteinmayer

Re: My Other Krag!

Post by psteinmayer »

View #2Image

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

The action.Image

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

The Rear Sight.Image

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

The Receiver Left Side.Image

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Missing Front Sight Blade.Image

98src

Post by 98src »

Serial number is too high to be a true 1898 carbine. Anything above 135,000 is usually suspect.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but, whoever "verified" the serial number, was being untruthful with you, either from ignorance or malice.

Also, even if the barrel length is right on the money at 22", SA did not install THAT front sight in THAT location - the work is nowhere close to their quality. It IS a genuine military sight base - not saying that it isn't - but SA didn't put it there.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Well, I am certain that you all probably know more about the different versions than I do, so I stand corrected. Incidentally, I verified the serial number many years ago at a web sight that showed the history of springfields. I also verified both of my Trapdoors at the same sight... It sounds like that web site might not have been correct (hope my trapdoors are still ok). Anyway, if anyone knows anything about that rear sight, I would love to know... Ultimately, I am going to remove that sight and have a scope mounted so I can accurately sight the gun. Thanks very much for the information!

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

You might want to look into a long eye relief pistol scope which could be mounted over the center of the bore. If a conventional scope is mounted on the receiver, it needs to be offset so as to permit ejection which is almost straight up. Such installations also require that the safety be replaced. There is a way to modify the safety by grinding, but it really is not very safe, being only held "on" by friction.

I'd be glad to help check the TD numbers, if you wish. Some sites are not very good, and unfortunately one of the worst used to be the SA site itself.