Hogans Heros

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Bill Landsaw

Hogans Heros

Post by Bill Landsaw »

I've seen a couple of episodes recently and noticed Sgt Shultz is carrying a Krag rifle, not a 98k.

psteinmayer

Re: Hogans Heros

Post by psteinmayer »

Really, I never knew... never watched that closely. Now I'll have to look at that.

Check out "To Kill a Mockingbird"... Gregory Peck shoots a rabid dog with a Krag Carbine!

knute

Post by knute »

Looks like Peck had a sporterized Krag. It has a short stock and front barrel band along with a sling. The front sight appears to be a 1903 Springfield type. Can't remember if it had a hand guard, but I think it did not. In fact, it looks just like mine.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I agree... Definately sporterized! Great scene though...

Bill Landsaw

Post by Bill Landsaw »

According to this website the one in To Kill is a Danish 1889 that's been cut down.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Krag-Jrgensen

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

According to this website the one in To Kill is a Danish 1889 that's been cut down.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Krag-Jrgensen

They couldn't be more wrong. See for yourself -

img

It's a "sporterized" US Krag with the 1896 rear sight and a 1905 front.

knute

Post by knute »

Yep, that is almost exactly what I have, no handguard, an 1896 rear sight, except my front sight is a 1903. Main difference is my Krag has a little more wood extending past the barrel band. The Krag in the photo doesn't go much further than the band. Believe the movie was about the period during the Great Depression. The Krag was probably pretty popular back then being a low cost army surplus rifle.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Oh yeah... I always knew it was a US Krag... I love that scene (cause he is shooting a Krag, not because he shoots a dog :'()!

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

Yep, that is almost exactly what I have, no handguard, an 1896 rear sight, except my front sight is a 1903.

The 1903 model front sight is a pretty rare bird, seen only on the rod-bayonet M1903 rifle. The common sight on the M1903 rifle is the 1905 model, adopted along with the knife bayonet.

img
1903 front sight

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Nice photo!

You're right - the nomenclature has gotten sloppy. MANY people make the same mistake - I'd venture to guess that a lot of them have never even heard of the rod-bayonet version, which fell into disgrace early on and was pretty well obliterated.