more pics of looking for serial number

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
kaziboku

more pics of looking for serial number

Post by kaziboku »

More pics of the krags I asked about...
Sorry, I had a hard time with multiple pics.
The attached is a word doc.
mark Image

fred

Re: more pics of looking for serial number

Post by fred »

I believe the last digit of the model year was removed when someone drilled a hole for scope mounting and then filled the hole in (probably drilled in the wrong place). Looks like it was filled with JB Weld or some other metal filler.

The serial number was probably polished off (inadvertently I imagine) when someone was polishing this rifle prior to rebluing it. It has been reblued as the originals were a dark, mottled grey color caused by oil-quenching during the hardening process. It is very easy to get carried away when polishing metal with powertools.

I'm no lawyer or gun rights expert, but I believe that with no serial number that rifle may be illegal to own. I am pretty sure that it is illegal to sell.

daveboy

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Based on what I saw in the full sized pics in the first post, I'd say both were cut down rifles rather than true carbines. The longer of the two definitely has a replacement front sight... Just my opinion...

kaziboku

Post by kaziboku »

Thanks for the info. Never would have thought the serial number could be polished off but it does make sense.
Still shoots though... and that is why it was purchased.

Thanks again, I enjoy reading the forum.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

kaziboku: Your Krags definitely appear to be cut-down rifles. Since the originality is gone, it makes them great "guilt-free" shooters. None of your posted pictures show a clear view of the receiver markings, so it is hard to give feedback or information. I have never encountered a U.S. Krag without at least a damaged serial #. But, I suppose anything is possible in a mass produced item. The serial number marking is normally about the same depth as the "U.S." and Springfield & Model Markings. Given the surface hardness of the Krag action, it is unlikely the serial number would be removed by excessive polishing. It would require grinding, machining, or welding to remove all evidence of a serial number. In my opinion, discoloration and disruption in the metal surface of the receiver should be noticeable. A clear side view picture would be helpful.

kaziboku

Post by kaziboku »

Another, hopefully better reciever picImage

kaziboku

Post by kaziboku »

Another reciever pic - Thanks for the inputs.
markImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Wow, Mark: Seeing how faint the "U.S." and "Armory" letters are on your 1894 Krag receiver makes it believable that the Serial # got belt-sanded off. The 1894 date should remove any worry about the lack of a serial number (pre-1898). Enjoy shooting and hunting with your Krags.

kstone1020

Post by kstone1020 »

try taking the photo in a dimmer room without a flash in "Night Mode" you may be able to distinguish the serial, or go to a Military Surplus store get what is called sight black spray some on the area where the serial number is, use a small block of wood and an old t shirt, pull the t shirt tightly around the block and rub across the sprayed area, if any concave areas exists the sight black will stay within the crevices, revealing what is left of the serial number. Or maybe there was an error in the stamping of that particular rifle and it was never stamped, If in fact it was sanded off there would be alot, and I do mean alot of metal missing. making it an oval or egg shape. im sorry I cant help more. hope it works.

To see if its been sanded, take the bolt out and look down the rifle at a sharper angle, if there is any metal missing, you will be able to tell. it should be perfectly round. anything less means its been tampered with.

konthai

Post by konthai »

thank you
เกมส์ออนไลน์ เกมส์ออนไลน์