My Favorite Krag!

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
psteinmayer

My Favorite Krag!

Post by psteinmayer »

Since I'm new to this site, I thougt I would share some pictures and info on my favorite Krag Rifle. Model 1898, S/N 132598. My father gave this to me when he discovered that I simply LOVE the 30-40 Krag. He received it from a friend who kept it under his bed (un-touched) for 50 years. That man's father carried it home from France in 1918, where he used it in the Great War. I have been shooting it semi-regularly for 20 some-odd years now. I shot it most recently last saturday, where I consistantly shot 4 inch groups at 100 yards using reloads with 38.6 grains of IMR-4064 pushing a 165 grain Hornady soft point bullet. The stock on this rifle is a little rough, and the cartouch is completely worn off, but other than that, it is all original, and has an imaculate bore! By FAR the best shooting rifle I've ever had!!!Image

psteinmayer

Re: My Favorite Krag!

Post by psteinmayer »

Another ViewImage

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Another viewImage

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Nice rifle.

5MadFarmers

Post by 5MadFarmers »

Pretty similar to mine! Top one. Same sight and everything.

img

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Now, now, not everyone is a computer expert and owns many Krags. Play nice with the beginners.

5MadFarmers

Post by 5MadFarmers »

No, I was genuinely interested in seeing his rifle. With images cropped to 250 pixels there isn't much chance of that. The sight reference was tongue in cheek as at the presented resolution his images are at it could be sporting Wrigley's Spearmint Gum in place of the rear sight and we'd never know. If somebody wishes to display their rifle cropping the image to 250 pixels makes it a pointless exercise.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I agree whole heartedly! I tried to place larger images and it wouldn't let me. I would be very happy to email you full size pictures if you would like them. I truly believe that the Krag is the most under-rated rifle in the world. My 1898 rifle is deadly accurate, out performing my (supposedly more accurate) M1 Garand! I wouldn't trade it for the world!

5MadFarmers

Post by 5MadFarmers »

My username at gmail.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

test

I am a computer Neanderthal, but this picture seems big enough and is still well below the forum limits.....Image