Reloading System Recommendations?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Kavorka

Reloading System Recommendations?

Post by Kavorka »

I am planning on purchasing a reloading system which will work on my military firearms. I will need something that will cover 30-40 Krag, 30.06, 30.08, British 303, 7 & 8 mm Mauser , 45ACP and 38 S & W .
I had a class with our gunney at the gun club using a RCBS system. He seems to recommend the RCBS Rock Crusher but that was after our class and a few beers.
I need something that is user friendly with a help or video lesson backup. Future spare parts need to be available. I appreciate any advice.
Thank you Dave

cdagnese

Re: Reloading System Recommendations?

Post by cdagnese »

Dave:

Unless you're going to reload .50 Cal, the RCBS Rock Chucker is about the golden standard. It is a simple (very heavy duty) single stage press but will do most any caliber well. The pricer is right also.

Carl D.

Kavorka

Post by Kavorka »

Hi Carl,
Thank you for the advise.
Dave

knute

Post by knute »

I've gone the Lee Reloader set-up. The simple press is under $30 and I can get the dies for many calibers. The web site be Lee has reloading videos. A good starting point for a beginner that doesn't want to go invest a lot of money and will still be able to reload rounds that are better than buying complete cartridges. Some will disagree, but it is still a good American value.

tanker

Post by tanker »

I reload all the calibers you listed and more with a Lee Challenger press and have for many years. My dies are a combination of Lee and RCBS. The press is simple yet very accurate when attention is paid to the setup. Though not fast, it is precise and that is what I'm after. I've had no great time or expense devoted to loading and firing 200-500 rds per month that I shoot. I enjoy reloading and like the challenge of consistency that makes for good ammunition. Good scales, case tumbler and case length gages are a few other minimums for quality consistent ammo IMO, among some others you'll want as you go along. Good Luck

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The basic Lee Turret Press with the 'quick-change' turrets is the press I use the most. (I also have a strong RCBS single station press). I have various makes of Dies and they all work well with the Lee Press. I own a bunch of the 3-position turrets and once I have set-up for a caliber, I leave it assembled. To change to a different cartridge, you simply change Turrets and Shell Holders. The Lee presses are strong enough, inexpensive, repairable, warranted, and commonly available. Also, I normally just neck-size cases for my bolt guns. I like to prime my cases with the Lee hand tool with an attached primer tray.

Kavorka

Post by Kavorka »

Hi ,
What do you mean by neck size?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

When you have a Full Length Re-Sizing Die screwed all the way into the press so it makes contact with the shell holder, the die full-length re-sizes the case. This means it returns it to factory dimensions. If you are reloading ammunition with cartridge cases that were fired in your rifle, the brass case has expanded to close to the dimensions of your rifle's chamber. It is unnecessary to fully resize the case and needlessly works and stretches the brass case. Backing-off the Die, a turn or two from being fully threaded into the press, allows the Die to just resize most of the case neck and not touch the rest of the case. This practice has accuracy advantages and makes for longer case life (more reloadings). It is worth while to get a reloading manual and read the begining chapters on reloading basics before investing in equipment.

Kavorka

Post by Kavorka »

Thanks for the great advise.
Regards Dave