Older sporters with a line of 4 or 5 tap holes

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
alcmaeon

Older sporters with a line of 4 or 5 tap holes

Post by alcmaeon »

Hey Guys

I have noticed that a ton of old sporter Krags have a side mount line of drill holes for mounting a scope, often 4 or 5 in a row. Were they using a specific mount or were the using a conventional top mount on the side? Keep in mind I am not asking this to bubba a rifle, I am asking so I can utilize those pre-existing tap holes on a shooter Krag.

Thanks!

Rich

butlersrangers

Re: Older sporters with a line of 4 or 5 tap holes

Post by butlersrangers »

Alcmaeon: I believe the multiple (4 & 5) holes on some sporterized Krag receivers was done to mount Williams and Weaver (side-plate with detachable mount) off-set scope mounts. The odd number holes was probably due to a mistake or earlier holes for a peep-sight. I think it has to be a matter of trial and error to find a mount that will match up. Scopes on a Krag have to be off-set for ejection of cases. I have an 1898 Krag carbine that was sporterized and has four ugly tapped holes. I intend to find a mount that matches up and use it as a sporter/shooter like you envision.

alcmaeon

Post by alcmaeon »

I guess it will be trial and error, good thing Midway had a good return policy! This is a pic of the tap holes on the Krag I just bought off of Gunbroker. The price was right and it sounded like the rifle had been massaged a bit by a good gunsmith. I don't have it in hand yet though, so we shall see. Those holes look a but skewed, but I figure if nothing else that S*K mount will fit.Image

alcmaeon

Post by alcmaeon »

Oh, and I actually picked off 2 rifles from Gunbroker, the other had what appears to be a Lyman 48 peep on it. Between the 2, I hope one is a shooter. Either way total cost out the door is less than a new Remchestavage 77 ;), and has a lot more class.