Sighting in 1894 Rifle at 100 yards Help needed

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Kavorka

Sighting in 1894 Rifle at 100 yards Help needed

Post by Kavorka »

I took my 1894 Krag rifle to our 100 yard range to sight it in.
I was using new 150 gr FMJ .30-40 Krag ammo.
I raised the ladder sight and placed the horizontal bar at its lowest possible position.
To hit paper I had to aim well below my target at least a foot.
Any tips on sighting in at 100 yards?
Dave

Kavorka

Re: Sighting in 1894 Rifle at 100 yards Help needed

Post by Kavorka »

P.S. The magazine cut off worked great even with pointed end ammo.Loading 5 was no problem. Thanks

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Original Krag sights were calibrated for 220 grain bullets at around 2000 fps. Your lighter bullet and higher velocity probably won't zero. Depending on what sight configuration you have you could try a lower front sight blade or reload or aim low! :)

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Believe that would be a taller sight blade? Since the rifle is shooting high (as they all do) you need to force the barrel to point lower.

Also, the cutoff function is not affected by bullet shape - it is feeding that may suffer when using a bullet other than the one for which the guide surfaces were shaped. Some rifles just happen to feed non-original bullets better than others - and there is no predicting which will and which won't.

cjwils

Post by cjwils »

You said you "raised the ladder sight and placed the horizontal bar at its lowest possible position." For 100 yards you should not need to raise the ladder at all. There is a notch you aim through when the ladder is laying down flat.

Kavorka

Post by Kavorka »

I thought the ladder folded down gives you the battle sight which is Iam guessing over 500-700 yards?
I did try the sight in that manner and did hit the paper when aiming very low below the target but still in line vertically with the black center.
Dave

cjwils

Post by cjwils »

I am attaching a copy of part of a photo that another member put up recently, with my notes A, B, and C added. When I use notch B at 100 yards with the ladder folder down, I am on the paper at 100 yards with no other adjustments. Different bullet weights and loads have all been on the paper with when using that notch. If you use notch B and are below the paper, try sliding the cross piece A forward (with the ladder down) up the curved ramp C, which will raise notch B and raise the point of impact slightly.Image

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Right you are Dick!! I shouldn't try to squeeze one last post in before work I guess!!!! :(

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

The notch at the top of the leaf is the battle sight when the leaf is down, but the intended range for same is less than 500-700 yds; it's more like 275 yds.

Kavorka

Post by Kavorka »

I am beginning to understand the sighting; however when do you raise the ladder sight?
Is the ladder sight generally the same on other rifles like a 1903 for 100yards ladder down?
I wish to thank everyone that has been responding to my questions and providing me with a great education on the Krag.
I have received so many confusing answers by the so called experts at my gun club.
Thanks Dave