Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Bill Landsaw

Post by Bill Landsaw »

Hello all,

I'm a long time Krag owner, mine is one my dad bought from the local VFW for $2.00 after WWII when they were getting '03 Springfields for their honor guard to replace the Krags. I used to have a couple of boxes of full patch blanks for it. The VFW had removed the safety to prevent people from accidentally having it on when they were firing salutes, I replaced it with an after market one, I'd like to get an original one. I don't have the rifle handy right now, so I can't quote serial # or date right now. It still has the military hardware and I've replaced the sling on it. It's a sweet shooter, that's for sure.

Bill

Century2

Re: New member

Post by Century2 »

That's just about the same story for my first Krag! The difference was that dad got an ugly duckling from the back of the locker and left it alone for 25 years or so until I came back from camp with my riflery stories. Beneath the chewed up stock and obliterated handguard (and much to our surprise) hid one of the most awesome bores! Dad has gone on to collect his rewards but the Krag awaits the eventual hand-off to my son. Only with much effort, luck and money have I ever found a couple bores any better. I suppose that the lack of asthetics kept it from being used and abused by years of blank firing? All fixed up now, I make sure to bring it to the range on or near every Father's Day!
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. Theodore Roosevelt

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Same story here - over many years of collecting, first and foremost trapdoors but also Krags, I can tell you that outside condition does not always agree with bore condition.

Many's the rough TD that has been found with (or would clean to) a near-pristine bore, yet I've seen any number of really nice-looking Krags that were total sewers inside. Has to have been something to do with the early smokeless powder and/or priming, and cleaning methods employed.

Bill Landsaw

Post by Bill Landsaw »

You are correct about the early smokeless rounds being corrosive, some old books recommended flushing the bore with boiling water to clean them out. Mine was taken care of, the bore is clean and without any major pitting, so it either wasn't used much or well cleaned after use.