1896 Krag Carbine Introduction

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
MyKrag

1896 Krag Carbine Introduction

Post by MyKrag »

First, I want to say thanks for an Amazing website. I have lurked for some time and read a lot of threads. The time several of you guys take to help newbies like me is commendable and very much appreciated!! Now that I'm done "sucking up".....

My father owned a few "old" rifles and handguns that he kept stored away over the years. We both owned several "new" firearms that we shot and hunted with together, but for some reason he never did much with the older guns. My Dad passed away in 2004 and my Mom gave me his collection. I picked everything up from her recently and found that he actually had a nice old carbine. Through a fair amount of research here and other places, I have found out the following about this carbine:
[list]
* Model 1896 Krag Carbine
* Serial number 77169
* 22" barrell length
* Front & Rear sights "appear" correct
* In good working condition (my assessment, not NRA!)
* Missing cleaning rods and oiler
[/list]

I will try to post pictures soon. I want to keep this gun and am looking for what I might be able to insure it for. Any idea on a rough appraisal value? Is there anyone in the Southeast that might be a trusted appraiser?

I also want to find the cleaning rod and oiler to make it complete. Would this carbine have had a 3 piece rod? Would it be worth spending the money for these items, or just leave it as is?

I would like to clean it a little and display it in my study. What would be the best way? And any recommended display methods?

Thanks for reading this far. I hope to learn enough about this carbine to be able to help other newbies in the future!! 8-)

JOHN42768

Re: 1896 Krag Carbine Introduction

Post by JOHN42768 »

Hi Welcome, Sounds like you might have a real winner. DOB was Oct.1897. The real good info is that both #77166 and 77167 were both confirmed for usage with the "Rough Riders'' in the 1st USV CAL. Troop I. Not cast in stone, but a good chance it has a real history. Have you compared to the photos as to correct features? The Carbine would have had a two piece cleaning rod. Good luck, John

MyKrag

Post by MyKrag »

Thanks for the reply John! That is some great info. I have found some really good photo locations. Some of which are "owned" by members here. I have seen references to a photo section here, but have not been able to find it. Did it get removed? Or am I just missing it? :-[

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

The photo section is on the Krag Collectors Association web site.
Go to the top of this page, see the "news" header that alternately says "welcome to our forum" and "Visit the KCA website today". Click on "KCA website".
Or just go towww.kragcollectorsassociation.org

MyKrag

Post by MyKrag »

The photo section is on the Krag Collectors Association web site.

Thanks Ned! I found it.

Here are a few pictures I took tonight. I gotta get a place with better lighting. Sorry for the crappy photos!
img
img
img
img
img

JOHN42768

Post by JOHN42768 »

Hi, Glad you found the photos. The rear sight should also have a C on the right side of the base near the rear of the markings and the front blade should have c on the left side. This may be very hard to see as most will be covered by the base. Have fun searching. John

MyKrag

Post by MyKrag »

...Have fun searching. John

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the history of the Krag Carbines, as well as the rifles. And your input is greatly appreciated!

I did a "gentle" cleaning last night. Mostly with my firearm cleaner/lubricant on the metal surfaces. The bore looks good, but dirty. I don't have the proper cleaning rod and will be looking for that at a local gun/knife show this weekend.

Speaking of cleaning rods. You mentioned that mine should have originally had a two piece rod. I thought I read somewhere that the early run (transition from 92 to 96) of 1896 Carbines had the two rod set-up, but the later version had the three rods. I would just like to verify before I go and try to purchase a replacement set-up.

I am also still interested to know what the value might be of my Carbine. I think it would be prudent to add it to my home-owners policy. I've never owned a "real" collectible firearm, so I want to make sure I take care to protect its value! Thoughts?

Nucmedman

Post by Nucmedman »

This is a VERY nice carbine. Look at the thread "1st US Vol Cavalry" to compare with my 1896 carbine. Mine has a serial # that matches RR issue, but there were a few issues that Mr. Hosmer pointed out (which I am grateful for). Anyway, to answer the question about the cleaning rods, my carbine still had the rods, three of them, and my serial number is much lower than yours. therefor, your carbine should require three rods. Shine a light down in the butt trap and see if there are holes drilled to hold the rods. There should be three present as mine has. I hope this helps.

MyKrag

Post by MyKrag »

This is a VERY nice carbine. Look at the thread "1st US Vol Cavalry" to compare with my 1896 carbine. Mine has a serial # that matches RR issue, but there were a few issues that Mr. Hosmer pointed out (which I am grateful for). Anyway, to answer the question about the cleaning rods, my carbine still had the rods, three of them, and my serial number is much lower than yours. therefor, your carbine should require three rods. Shine a light down in the butt trap and see if there are holes drilled to hold the rods. There should be three present as mine has. I hope this helps.

Thanks! And good info on the cleaning rods. I will look tonight. I will also search for your thread. I had no idea this was going to become such a fun hobby! I would have "unwrapped" the gun a few years ago! :D

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Yes, that is a very nice specimen.

The short (30") carbine stock comes in at least five configurations:

(1) Thin wrist - 1896 bolt cut - TWO rod holes, stacked vertically - with swivel
(2) Thin wrist - 1896 bolt cut - THREE rod holes, in a triangle, 1 over 2 - with swivel
(3) THICK wrist - 1896 bolt cut - Three rod holes, in a triangle, 1 over 2 - with swivel
(4) Thick wrist - 1896 bolt cut - Three rod holes, in a triangle, 1 over 2 - NO swivel (used as replacement only)
(5) Thick wrist - 1898 bolt cut - Three rod holes, in a triangle, 1 over 2 - with swivel

Type (1) is VERY scarce. The late Bill Mook had only recorded 7 (one of which I count myself very lucky to own) of them over his collecting career.

You have a Type (3).