Old powder

For poking fun and off topic subjects
FredC

Re: Old powder

Post by FredC »

Well on the jar that does not matter, it does say Ball in big bold letters, Mason in smaller letters. My family always called them Mason so I never noticed the "BALL".
I just bought one for something a couple of weeks ago and regretted that it was made in China. I guess they are conserving that big pile of sand.

Culpepper if you notice in the jar there are a couple of loose flakes of Unique in their, I guess if I was drinking from it things might of gotten a little loopy.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FWIW - I had to wonder at my own question.
Some notes:

John Landis Mason (1832-1902) was a U.S. tinsmith, who envisioned the gasket/seal lid, threaded metal seal-ring, and manufacturing mold for the "Mason Jar". He held several U.S. patents from 1858 and later. He sold off his rights to some of his patents.

The Ball Brothers had a manufacturing plant in Buffalo, N.Y., that made glass-lined containers for kerosene. Around 1884, they realized some of Mason's patents had expired and began making Mason jars.

The Ball Company was building a new factory in Muncie, Indiana, when the Buffalo plant burned down, around 1886.

The Ball Co. was ethical and paid a License fee to put the "Mason" name on their Ball Jars.

Both Mason jar and Ball Jar are correct terms for FredC's 'screw top jar'.

"Kerr" was another prolific maker of "Mason Jars".

Attached: one of Mason's patent drawings and Ball Logos to date your powder container/Moonshine container.

(FredC's jar dates 1960 or later).ImageImage

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Culpepper if you notice in the jar there are a couple of loose flakes of Unique in their, I guess if I was drinking from it things might of gotten a little loopy.

That would be drinkin shine with an expolsive kick to it! ;D
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio