1894 Norwegian Krag has been un-sporterized

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
dmg4

1894 Norwegian Krag has been un-sporterized

Post by dmg4 »

I posted this earlier this evening on SurplusRifleForum: Back in August I had left several messages on various boards looking for a Norwegian Krag, with little luck. Then a gentleman with the name "Monkeytron" tipped me on a sporterized 1894 rifle at Cabela's in Glendale, AZ. They wanted $350, which was fine by me.

Most everything was there, and the bore was in excellent condition. The end of the stock had been hacked off just forward of the band. Perfect. I bought a end of a busted stock from Norway and hid the splice under the band. You'd be hard-pressed to find the joint even with the band removed, as it was a perfect match in color and grain.

Several coats of pure tung oil and Toms 1/3 wax later, and she looks quite good for someone born in 1917.

Now I need the carbine to keep it company.Image

dmg4

Re: 1894 Norwegian Krag has been un-sporterized

Post by dmg4 »

More picsImage

Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

That's a nice looking, resurrected rifle. Good job.

TL

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Very nice job!! I have a soft spot for the Norwegians my self!!
The original hand guard was with it?
Happy shooting and happy holidays!!

tfree

Post by tfree »

Very nice gun! The metal looks like it was highly polished and re-blued. Did the gun come that way or did you refurbish the metal also?

dmg4

Post by dmg4 »

Yes, the original handguard was included. Only the tip of the stock was replaced.

Regarding the metal: it had been polished (not well) and reblued with some light surface rust added when I received it. I had the bluing and metal work redone by McMurray Gunsmithing in Idaho. Most of the sheen you see in the pics is gun oil.