"new" Krag sporter

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
2flasargent

"new" Krag sporter

Post by 2flasargent »

I have several other military rifles, but just acquired a sporterized Krag, serial #273517. It has a 22" barrel, unmessed with receiver, ramp front sight, and rear sight similar to Krag sight pictures, but with a knurled screw down the center and 2 patent dates on the left side. Some questions have come up:
1. The ramp front sight is screwed into a tapped hole in the barrel. Were the original sights dovetailed in, soldered on or what? Could this be an actual carbine barrel? It's got good rifling, dark but unpitted and even.
2. I tried what I read elsewhere to poor man headspace - empty cartridge with a partially seated primer, closed the bolt gently and checked the seating. The primer was quite flush with the case. I fired it then from a distance with a string several rounds w/o incident. However the Winchester cases were formed somewhat differently after firing, with a more distinct shoulder. I've seen pix of krag cases with this shoulder. Is this normal?
3 The round has failed to fire once or twice with a shallow primer indent. The extractor has failed to engage the rim on these w/o pushing it down. Could this be a headspace problem on some cartridges? All are the same box of Winchester rounds.
4. Huntington Reloading advertises a reforming die for 303 brass. Good idea given cheaper 303 brass?

I appreciate the ability to air my questions. It's good to know I don't have to reinvent every wheel! this is a great little gun and as money permits I'll make her look close enough to original for reenactor purposes anyway. Making her a good, reliable shoorter would be a great benefit as well. Thanks in advance.

Dick Hosmer

Re: "new" Krag sporter

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Some hopefully helpful thoughts:

(1) Original sights were brazed into a VERY shallow (really hardly more than a flat spot) dovetail. so, if there is no flat - just the hole, it is not a carbine barrel.

(2)(3) Hard to say. A few Krags were rechambered for a sharper shoulder case, a practice known as 'wildcatting' in the 1950s/60s. It would depend on how much different the shoulder is - it well could just be that the chamber is a tad loose, and the cases are at minimum spec. The Krag headspaces on the rim, so shoulder location is not critical, as it is on the .30-'06. There is a possible relationship/similarity between your (2) and (3). Failure to extract is not unheard of, and pressing down on the extractor was the recommended fix. I'd be interested in seing how the cases fired in your rifle performed when reloaded - I would not be amazed if the "problems" totally disappeared.

(4) Krag brass is, or was until recently, available. While the cases are quite close, and I'm sure reforming is physically possible, be sure that the "cheap" .303 cases are Boxer (US style) primed. Much surplus .303 is (or at least USED to be) Berdan primed, which is a real nuisance to reload.

2flasargent

Post by 2flasargent »

That helps alot. Where the front sight is located has a shallow depression, possibly filled in, and the muzzle has a nice even crown, so it may have been a genuine carbine barrel. I paid $300, about average for a sporter I guess and am well pleased, particularly since the receiver hasn't been messed with. It also has a nice, deep, even blue. I wouldn't know if that's original or a real quality reblue. It seems to shoot pretty well. Once I absorb this expense I'll probably go for a repro stock and handguard. I picked up a butt plate on Ebay so far. I'll look into reloading dies. The altered cartridge profile is just noticable so you're right there.
Most of my other rifles are CMP service grade, and this is more of an adventure. Thanks so much for the prompt reply
Respects, George

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Most rimmed cartridges that I've fired come out of the gun with a more distinct shoulder than a factory load after firing. If the shoulder diameter has increased significantly, up to .448" and moved forward you might have an Ackley Improved chamber. My "Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions" says that Krag brass formed from .303 British will be significantly short in the neck. That could mean more bullet jump before the bullet contacts the rifling, if you have togo with a shorter overall length, and that might degade accuracy. I have also read that short in the neck cartridges contribute to throat erosion. ;)

2flasargent

Post by 2flasargent »

Thanks for the info. I've dropped the idea of the 303 cases. I got dies and a stock with the toe broken, since repaired, off Ebay. The rifle works better the longer I use it. Once I get it along further I'll do pix.
Note on Ebay - they put up a notice that after 'mid August' they won't sell items needed to fire the gun. No idea whether they can tell a handguard from a hammer. No "bullet tips"!
Respects, George