M1917 American Enfield

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Local Boy

Re: M1917 American Enfield

Post by Local Boy »

Chuga, chuga, woo-hoo I gotta get me one to!!!

Thanks for the schooling Knute!

I think one would go well with my 100% virgin wool Filson vest.

Now, now guys keep it clean about the virgin wool. :D

Any suggestions about locating a real deal Stormy Kromer?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The State of Ohio and Territory of Michigan had a war over Toledo in 1835, (well, sort of a war).

Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana won.

The Wisconsin Territory lost.

This is an example of how the U. S. Congress works ... and how Michigan got the western part of the "UP".

BTW: "Yoopers", people who live in the Michigan Upper Peninsula, (a.k.a. "The UP" or "The State of Superior"), are a bunch of "Packer Backers".

Above 'The Bridge', you would be hard pressed to find a Lions' Fan.

The Detroit Team plays, below 'The Bridge', to amuse the Trolls.

p.s. 'Local Boy' - The Stormy Kromer website is accessible online. Caps can be viewed and purchased directly from the maker, including Sale items. The 'SK' Caps are a lot smarter looking than 'Cheese Head Hats'.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Local Boy,
Go straight to the Stormy Kromer website. That is where I found my hat today on sale.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

The State of Ohio and Territory of Michigan had a war over Toledo in 1835, (well, sort of a war).

Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana won.

The Wisconsin Territory lost.

This is an example of how the U. S. Congress works ... and how Michigan got the western part of the "UP".

BTW: "Yoopers", people who live in the Michigan Upper Peninsula, (a.k.a. "The UP" or "The State of Superior"), are a bunch of "Packer Backers".

Above 'The Bridge', you would be hard pressed to find a Lions' Fan.

The Detroit Team plays, below 'The Bridge', to amuse the Trolls.

p.s. 'Local Boy' - The Stormy Kromer website is accessible online. Caps can be viewed and purchased directly from the maker, including Sale items. The 'SK' Caps are a lot smarter looking than 'Cheese Head Hats'.

That's not the only thing Ohio has won.

Michigan football loses to Ohio State, 62-39

Details at six, pictures at eleven.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

And I always thought they where just called "Elmer Fudd Hats".

I especially like the commentary on page 180 about Gravitation-"Down South"

Commentator suggest that the scientific research was influenced by Southern Corn Whiskey! LOL

Maybe Culpepper can shed some light on this commentary?

Oh I don't know about the commentary (still downloading it). Southern Corn Whiskey is so 1840s. Northern Corn Whiskey! Now that stuff will angry up your blood and in a hurry, too. Why there was a time I could put down an intire hogshead and not give a durn about anything for five seasons and two weeks. I have a jug of rum at the moment that has a fantastic molasses flavor. The only trouble if'n I drinks it I wont have any more to left drink.

Does the elmer fudd hats come in red plaid?

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Winter Cap Quiz for 'Buckeyes' - See if you can Identify?

A. Stormy Kromer, B. Trapper, C. Aviator, D. Toque, E. Elmer Fudd .ImageImageImageImageImage

Suredan

Post by Suredan »

Hey, who punched that kid in the eye? Maybe thats why he started wearing the aviator cap and goggles.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Earlier I called us Stormy Kromer followers belonging to a cult. That may have too much of a negative connotation. How about a brotherhood with a few sisters, also.

At a Packer game earlier this year (they beat the 49er's) I saw a young feller walking down the stairs in my section wearing a Stormy Kromer hat. I told him "nice hat". He turned to see who he thought was making fun of his hat until he saw me with a grin wearing mine. He returned the compliment. It is kind of like owning a Harley. If I had to explain it to you, you probably won't understand anyway. ::)

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I'm with you on the cult thing. There is nothing like the joy of seeing another 'shine aficionado sporting a rakish brown jug slung over her shoulder in a devil may care manner.

Or like our Band of Krag Brothers.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The "Stormy Kromer" story is really good marketing.

(The whole truth? I don't rightly know, but, I enjoy a good legend and a bit of blarney).

The 'oldtimers', I knew, just called them a "railroader's cap".

I am a 'Troll'. My parents, grandparents, and 3/4ths of my great-grandparents were born or lived, significant parts of their lives, in the upper peninsula "Copper Country".

Northern Michigan is quite the melting pot of languages, cultures, and nationalities.

The 'yoopers' have a lot of regional names for things. They know how to survive serious winter and adopted things that worked!

Some examples, I grew up with, that meant nothing to my 'troll' friends:

Swampers = Boots with rubber bottom, laced leather upper, and sometimes a felt liner, (like L.L. Bean's).

Choppers = Double-mittens that have a leather outer-mitten and a wool inner-mitten.

Toque = A French name for a wool "watch cap", sometimes very stylized. It goes back to ancient times. It can be knitted or made from whole cloth.

Canadians pronounce it "Took", my family pronounced it "Chook", (rhymes with 'cook').

As a kid, when I headed out the door in winter to do my paper-route, my mother would yell: "Be carefull. Do you have your Chook and Choppers"?!!

Knute, you are right about the 'Brotherhood of Hats'. There are motorcycle guys, car and truck guys, gun guys, and there are hat guys!

Most of these fraternities probably overlap.