need help or info

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
tskragsporter

need help or info

Post by tskragsporter »

Hi, I,m new to this forum and also to the krag rifle. I was given a Krag .30-.40 krag sporter and was wondering if anyone would know how to find a replacement stock for the sporter. mine is cracked behind the receiver and i want to be able to use it for hunting. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

geezmo

Re: need help or info

Post by geezmo »

If it's just a clean crack, you should be able to glue it. Some of the epoxies available today are stronger then the original wood. If you're not comfortable doing it, a gunsmith should be able to help you. If you really insist on replacing the stock, cut downs are on ebay frequently, for reasonable prices (sometimes). Also, I met a guy who makes stocks at the last Allentown show. He had a nice '96 carbine stock, contoured and inletted, with little or no wood to remove. His average price was in the $225 range, and the stocks were beauties. His name is Michael Kokolus gunstockduplicating.com .

Good luck,
Barry

tskragsporter

Post by tskragsporter »

Thanks geezmo, there is a small chunk of the stock on the right side, by the bolt missing, and then i noticed the cracking around the back . The stock is a eplacement stock already and the barrel has been shortened to about 25.5 in. I think I might try contacting that guy and see abount a replacement. Thanks again.

Jeff7mm

Post by Jeff7mm »

Boyds makes replacement stocks.