Norwegian Krag

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Jericho

Norwegian Krag

Post by Jericho »

I encountered a Norwegian Krag for the first time in "the flesh" a few months ago. Not a bad
looking speciment, all original, no bayonet, pistol grip was cracked though. Since then I have
asked plenty of gunheads, milsurpshooters, etc. and none of them have seen one that they
could remember. Have surfed the internet and have only found one sporterized on GB or GA
I dont remember which. I did see one on a very high dollar auctionsite in NY I believe, man
I couldnt believe the prices on a lot of the milsurp rifles! I did run into a gentleman last week
and he says he sees them every month or so at gunshows. Are they really that rare and desirable?

Parashooter

Re: Norwegian Krag

Post by Parashooter »

An all-original Norwegian 1894 in fine condition with a bright bore is certainly uncommon in the USA and desirable to someone with an interest in Krags or Scandinavian rifles. Most have corroded bores and many have been damaged or molested.

Vaughn99

Post by Vaughn99 »

yes they maybe very uncommon in the usa but its sad/funny to say that they are a very rare find in ther home country of norway as 99% of them were exported over the last 80 years.

vaughn

Jeff7mm

Post by Jeff7mm »

I have been collecting guns (very actively) for about 20 years, and I have seen two. I bought them both, unfortunately both were owned by bubba before I found them. The better one is missing the hardguard and cleaning rod, and the stock is cut off and a recoil pad added. The bayonet lug was ground off the nosecap. The other was a barreled action with a cut down stock. I cant figure out why someone added a recoil pad to a 6.5X55 caliber rifle.

The first is a good shooter, the second had a severe headspace problem and is in the shop to have the barrel set back one thread. It will become a sporter.