1896 Krag restoration:Need Help

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Spank

1896 Krag restoration:Need Help

Post by Spank »

Hello people, my father's great uncle gave him a 1896 Krag rifle which used at college to hunt, he told me that he had his gun stashed under his bed in the dorm and a fat kid jumped on it and broke the stock..that was 1977..now in 2006 my father is older and always told me that he would love to see that gun fire again, so for his 48th birthday in march I would like to have the Krag restored in somewhat decent condition, the bluing is starting to chip and whatnot..I have a decent job so I'm going to fork out whatever it takes..The thing is I need a full length original stock and someone around Northeast or Central PA that knows how to restore these things..so that is where Im at presently..any tips would be greatly appreciated..again its is ashame to see this classic collect dust..so guys help me out..

Spank

ClaudeH

Re: 1896 Krag restoration:Need Help

Post by ClaudeH »

Do you have all of the pieces of the stock? The better craftsmen can do a beautiful job of repairing broken stocks and this may be preferable to discarding the broken stock if it is original to the rifle.

Where is the stock broken? Was there any other damage to the rifle when the stock was broken, such as a bent barrel?

Boyds sells a "replacement" stock which a person with very good wood carving skills can turn into a replacement stock. Original, full-length Krag rifle stocks are not easy to come by. Once in a blue moon one will go through e-bay - at a heady price.

If the original, broken stock is simply unrepairable you might also consider getting an original shortened stock off of e-bay and restoring its original length with a replacement foreend from Michael Kokolus http://www.gunstockduplicating.com/ In fact, I suspect he could supply a superior replacement stock.

Good luck!