Is this an 1892? Any info would be great.

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Wade Gaughran

Is this an 1892? Any info would be great.

Post by Wade Gaughran »

I have a rifle that I would like to Identify. Any help would be great. It appears to be a Model of 1892 Rifle based on the photos on this site and the identification found in the latest Blue Book. The receiver is marked with a "U.S." over "1894 Springfield Armory 21908" all in a line. There is no cartouche on the stock which is in remarkable condition. The only markings on the stock are "A.L." stamped right behind the trigger guard and there is a "U" stamped on the right side of the barrel band.

Rick_the_Librarian

Re: Is this an 1892? Any info would be great.

Post by Rick_the_Librarian »

I've seen pictures of the rifle and it has an 1898 stock, although I'm not sure how they did that - I thought 1898 stocks were "special" and weren't interchangable with earlier Krags.

The rifle is more properly an 1892 modified to 1896 (or later) standards. The original 1892 had a cleaning rod underneath the muzzle and several other characteristics unique to 1892 rifles. Nearly all 1892s were modified to 1896 standards and a goodly number were later cut down by the DCM or Bannerman and Kirk.

From the pictures I have seen, it is hard to tell much, such as the rear sight type and other parts.