Philippine American War Veterans

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Keith_Alderson

Philippine American War Veterans

Post by Keith_Alderson »

I would like to know if any of the historians of the Philippine American War (Philippine Insurrection) could help with finding information about the many veteran groups that were formed 1902-1915 or so. I have reason to believe that one of these organizations had a Post in Slater, Missouri and the name of their Post, first was: "TANDAG KLAN, No. 6, SLATER, MO." and later: "TANDAG, No. 55, SLATER, MO". Doing an internet search of the word "TANDAG" revealed that Tandag is a municipality in the Philippine Islands and that is the reason I think this TANDAG group were Philippine American War veterans. Some of the names of these early veteran groups formed around the Country were: "National Society of the Army of the Philippines"; Colorado Society, Army of the Philippines"; Army Veterans of Foreign Service"; "Philippine War Veterans"; "American Veterans of the Philippine and China Wars"; and "Army of the Philippine-Cuba and Puerto Rico". In 1913 these fragmented organizations merged to form the present day VFW. I give credit to the VFW websites for the above information on organization's names. I am already researching with the Missouri Historical Society and also am getting microfilm of newspapers in Slater, MO to see if there is any mention of the group. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
keith

Rick_the_Librarian

Re: Philippine American War Veterans

Post by Rick_the_Librarian »

You might take a look at some of the links to sites specializing in the Spanish-American War. It wouldn't surprise me if they did have "lodges" but I would have no way of knowing for sure.

Richard_Sherman

Post by Richard_Sherman »

Keith:

I recommend you contact The United States Army Heritage and Education Center (AHEC) located at Carlise Barracks PA. Web address is www.carlisle.army.mil/ahec. They have a great research library and really good staff. It may take a while to get an answer as they are busy folks. If you are in their area (30 miles north of Gettsburg), It would be even better to stop in. They have open stacks for those are serious history hunters.

Keep up the Fire.

Richard Sherman.

Keith_Alderson

Post by Keith_Alderson »

Thanks Rick and Richard. I will check out AHEC; I was not familiar with that organization. Thanks.
keith