The 30-06 Krag Rifle Saga

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Culpeper

The 30-06 Krag Rifle Saga

Post by Culpeper »

The saga continues.

2005 was to be the Year of the Krag. I found a very nice looking '96 rifle (840xx) the middle of February and made arrangements to pick it up the middle of March. I called a buddy of mine over to have a look at it. The first thing I found but did not see at the store was the crown of the bolt face was broken and looked beat up. Not a problem. Easy replacement. After oooo'ing and ah'ing we set the rifle down to have dinner and port during which time my buddy have an odd look on his face thinking about this gun. Then he got up and grabbed an empty 06 case and put it in the chamber and closed the bolt on it. OH CRAPSKI!

We think that some legionaire some time in history reamed the thing out to shoot blanks. The guy I bought it from offered a full refund but I thought it looked very good just the way it was so he refund everything but he claimed he had in it. Since he offered the full refund I accepted his word on the deal.

Anyway, now I need a barrel. Where to get one? The lord was good to me because I was able to pick up a stripped, barreled receiver a week later (580xx). The first messed up barrel had good rifling while the second one is pretty much worn. It still has some but down near the chamber the rifling is barely discernable.

I should be able to get the parts moved in the next month or two and start shooting it for the summer. The rear site has a tiny peep site on it. They didn't use that , did they? Gee whiz. I have the Krag disease.

Culpeper

Ammo - Have it. Use it.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

bwhntr

Re: The 30-06 Krag Rifle Saga

Post by bwhntr »

I have seen barrels on e-bay before, be carefull though. I also understand 03 springfield barrels will fit. These might be easier to find.