Norwegian 1912/16 Questions

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
joeP

Norwegian 1912/16 Questions

Post by joeP »

I recently picked up my first Norwegian, a 1916 dated M1912/16, s.n. 9725. Good points, this rifle is completely unmolested including stock finish, very nice bore, original sling and M94 bayo. The bolt is a mismatch, #9465 (heads up out there, anyone able to reunite long lost parts?)
I have a few simple questions.....
What is that short cleaning rod used for? It can not even be screwed onto other rods (like Mausers do) to be usefull.
The rear sight leaf flips forward and rests upside down on a steel stud in the handguard and has a usable sight notch on the underside. Why?
The buttplate has number 16818 stamped on it...is this a mismatched part or something else like a unit number? I suspect a m/m, but the stock and all other numbers exc. bolt match, odd that a buttplate would need replacing.
So far I have test fired it briefly with Portuguese FNM/Indep ammo and gotten 3 to 4" groups at 100yds; the ammo was a little hotter than I liked and accuracy was not quite as good as I liked, so I will try working up some loads as time permits. My thanks to Nord for his reloading data, it will come in handy :)

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: Norwegian 1912/16 Questions

Post by Ned Butts »

Joe,
The rear sight flips forward for a battle setting.
All parts were originally serial #ed to the rifle so it must have been replaced for some reason.
Not real sure on the cleaning rod, maybe a squad cleanig kit with shared handle. Maybe Nord will check in soon and help us out.
Let us know how you make out with reloads, I am about to start the same process myself.
Happy shooting,
Ned

joeP

Post by joeP »

Hey Ned, thanks for the info. I will post succesful reloading info when I finish that project, but it may be a month or three. It took me 8 months to tune my Danish 1889/24, but part of that was waiting on dies. The Norwegian should only take .........well, that will partly be up to the wife and her priority list.

Dwarfmiester

Post by Dwarfmiester »

Joe,

Look into Accurate Arms XMP5744 I use a load of 120 gr. Rem. CLSP and 26 gr. in both the Krag and several M-96 Mausers. Mild with excellent 300 yard accuracy.

Len

wiking

Post by wiking »

The short "cleaning rod" is used to remove stucked cases from the barrels chamber.Simply by put the barrel up and drop this rod down the barrel,the cases is "knocked" out ;)