New Aussie Member

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
mikeallen

New Aussie Member

Post by mikeallen »

Good Morning from Australia,

I am Mike and I have an addiction to the Krag rifle!

This is my first confession.. I do collect all other tyes of firearm and associated items that I am ALLOWED to by my government, But the Krag is my favourite.

I have never come across a sweeter shooter and any thing more accurate than my Krag and in fact came forst in the SSAA Historical Arms Collectors shoot using my Krag

I hope to log on and to learn more form you all and will soon be starting up an Australain web page with the adventures of my Krag amd htose that are her downunder. (kragrifle.com).

Mike

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Re: New Aussie Member

Post by Tom Butts »

Mike,

Welcome to our forum and KCA website. So nice to hear that there are others that share our addiction around the world, especiallly in Australia!! Tell us more about your Krag. Is it a rifle or carbine, uncut or sporter? How long have you had it? I hear it is quite a pain in the @%%^ to be able to own a gun down under.

Again, welcome to our forum, glad to have you aboard, hope we can help with any information you may need.

Tom

mikeallen

Post by mikeallen »

Well my Krag is a mod 1898 and has not been cut down and would be classed as in extra fine condition. I gather from the serial number and the JLA cartouche it was built in 1902.

I have the bayonet (1903) with the type 5 scabbard (I think), McKeever Cartridge Box and a militia mills belt (45 rounds).

I will be in due course looking for some other accessories (cleaning gear etc). Yes owning a gun here can be a bit of an issue (for the honest) but our criminals have no such trouble Uzi's etc NO problem.

Will have some pictures etc soon so all can have a look,

Cheers

Mike

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Hi Mike,
Glad to have you aboard! I was wondering if there are many Krags in Australia? How does one come across a full mil. Krag there or was it purchased elsewhere and sent to you. Congradulations on your victory, they are great shooters aren't they!?
Ned

mikeallen

Post by mikeallen »

G'day Again All,

No Krags are not common here in Australia (I have seen 3 two being Mod 1898 and one being a Norwegian Krag)

Mine is in full military configuration and is the rifle, I bought it from Woolloongabba Guns in the early 80's for around 800 Aus$ the last time I saw one it was being offered for aroung $3000.

30/40 ammo is virtually non existant here so it is definitely a handloading proposition and sometimes a case making situation as well.

But yes mine is a great shooter and always seems to attract attention at comps and at gunshows.

Mike

wrmkrag

Post by wrmkrag »

Mike,
How are you coming along with the paper work to import the carbine that I am giving you?? Last word was that you were working on the problem, but nothing since.

Bill Mook