1898 Cartouche on 1896 rifle stock

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Richard_Sherman

1898 Cartouche on 1896 rifle stock

Post by Richard_Sherman »

I bought my first Krag rifle on the internet in 1998. The picture was a little small and fuzzy but the words said it was a good gun. After a few days of holding my breath and saying a prayer or two, it arrived. An early 1898 (s/n 115545) at least NRA Fine, clean inside and out with a bore that shoots sub 2" groups at 100 yards with an 1896 rear sight. What's the old saying, even a blind squirrel - - - - .

But, it had an 1896 stock which has a weak but clear 1898 catouche. The easy answer is that an 1898/1896 stock swap in the past 105 years is not unreasonable. But that 1898 cartouche keeps nagging at me. And adds a few more questions to my BTSOOM file. (The gun came to me thru a dealer from an estate in Southern Georgia. The wood and iron look to have been mated a long time).

- Could the 1896 stock be original on an early production 1898 rifle in some sort of "bottom of the barrel" thing? (1898 was a BUSY time at SA).

- Do armory work rule records tell whether the iron and stocks remained a mated pair during refinishing, or go into separate piles with a random mateing after the work was done?

- Do Armory records tell whether refinishing was done by SA employees or individual piece work contractors?

- Since it still has an 1896 rear sight, does that in some way date its last official visit to SA? Or as offical government property?

All answers and/or opinions are appreciated.

Keep up the Fire.

Richard Sherman