Steyr 1897 Krag

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Tom Butts
Site Admin

Steyr 1897 Krag

Post by Tom Butts »

I have a krag action the top of the receiver is marked STEYR 1897. Can anyone give me more information about what is it and where I might be able to find a barrel ? Thank you for your help.

Roland

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: Steyr 1897 Krag

Post by Ned Butts »

Hi Roland,
What you have is a Norwegian Model 1894 rifle reciever. Original barrels and parts are few and far between. The chances of finding on in shootable condition are very slim. Norwegian barrels have left hand threads, just to complicate things.
Hopefully Nord will se this and jump in, he has alot of info and knowledge on the Norwegian version.
Ned

roland

Post by roland »

How hard is it to find a new barrel?

Nord

Post by Nord »

Well Roland.

I believe you Americans have a saying: "Rare as chicken teeths"...

No, it's not really that impossible, the Steyr action HAS different threads than the Kongsberg made action, BUT they DO interchange.
So if you find a barrell from a Norwegian Krag (left hand threaded) it will fit on your Steyr action.

Things has become more difficult after 11/9, and it affects us in ways we couldn't imagine before.
Seems like it's getting even harder to ship gun parts now...

Good luck anyway Roland!

Nord

roland

Post by roland »

Thanks Nord I need all the help I can get. Would really like to get this shooting. It was in a bunch of stuff left to me by an old friend and as he was a shooter I feel that I should finish it. Thanks again Roland