1896 value....?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
bbodyguy

1896 value....?

Post by bbodyguy »

Please excuse the double post, I put the first one in the classified, and did not really mean to.....
Hello all. I have never held a firearm in my mitts before. I have just spent 4 hours on the net learning everything about this weapon that I have just inherited. Want to know what you guys think! Here goes:
Stamped: U.S. Model 1896 Springfield Armory. 92507
It must have been Sportized (sp), as I can not find any pictures that resemble it.
From the muzzle to the stock is aproximately 12 inches. It has the type 4 rear sight found via pictures of the Krag site, though I can not find any "c" stamped in it anywhere.
I do know for the last 50 plus years it has never seen the light of day.
There are slight rust specs here and there. The stock does not have the deep grooves that seem to supposed to be there. The mechinism's seem to operate smoothly. I (for giggles) removed the bolt, and replaced it via the site.
Length overall is 3'7". The foward site is brazed into a dove tail.
The stock looks slightly blackened on the left hand side near the safety, and near the trigger gaurd. The right side is blackend a bit more around the bolt. The buttplate has a working little door, but nothing inside. The stock overall is in good condition (to my untrained eyes!), but I can see only the barest hint of the grooves that must have been there before.
It is hard to look down the barrel for me to see anything, but looks like a slight bit of surface rust in the first 1/4 inch or so.
I am not to fond of having weapons around the house, I would never use it. I will probably unload it (and the two cartons of cartridges for it- again a minimum of 50 years old, but would not be surprised if it was 25 older than that....)
How would I go about that, what would be a ball park guess to the value? I realize that it is *very* difficult to guess without seeing it in person, but I think I gave a decent representation of what it is.
Not fishing /looking for offers yet, there is no rush.
I might keep it if the consenses (sp?) is that the value is accelerating. If that is the case should i have professionally cleaned/oiled? How should I store it?

I appereciate your candid response's, and value your thoughts.

How much would I expect for an appraisel? Do you think it would be worth my time? I.E., if it is really a $200 gun, spending $75 on that might not be so good. Syracuse NY area if that means anything to anybody.

Thanks Everyone!

Peter

Also, is it completely legal to run around with it in my trunk?

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Re: 1896 value....?

Post by Tom Butts »

Peter,

Quite a story on this gun. You said you inherited it. I was just wondering, did it belong to a grandfather or someone like that?

You gave a fairly complete decription. It sounds to me like an 1896 rifle that has been cut down. Does it have a sling or sling swivels? Been sitting around a long time and not well taken care of. Probably not a goldmine in value because it was cut down.

You said you are in the Syracuse area. The reason I mention this is that there is a big gun show in Syracuse 2 weeks from now. First, my brother and I are planning on being there and could take a look at your gun for you then and give a much better idea of value. Second, you might be able to sell it by carrying it around the Syracuse show, if you wanted to.

You can e-mail me directly if you want to try to meet up at the Syracuse show.

Glad to see you using our site. I hope it will prove helpful to you.

Best regards,

Tom Butts
[glb]KCA[/glb]