1896 30-40 Krag Value

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Todd Shuey

1896 30-40 Krag Value

Post by Todd Shuey »

Sorry for the multiple postings... But.

I was wondering what the value of my 1896 30-40 Krag Carbine is.

As I said before, Some "Bonehead" sporterized it.

The stock has been cut off straight at the barrel band.
The handguard & rear sight are missing and a scope mount & scope have been added

The rifle seems to be in excellant condition otherwise and I think the blueing may be origional.

Thanks Again for your help,

Todd Shuey
Mechanicsburg, PA

gunbarrel

Re: 1896 30-40 Krag Value

Post by gunbarrel »

Is it a cut-down rifle, or an honest to goodness carbine? Can you post a picture of it and/or give details as to what all it says on it? How about a serial number (use xxx's at the end)? This is the info that the folks around here are going to need to help you. Good luck!

PS Regarding your stock post, original stocks (particularly carbine stocks) cost several times the value of your rifle...when you can find them. Regarding the blueing you mention, depending on where it is, it may be that the rifle was (re)blued where it was not blue originally; that would bring the value down even more...

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Post by Tom Butts »

Todd,

A word of advice, don't use xxx at the end of any serial number!!!! If you are asking people on this site for information or any help we need to know the serial number, the COMPLETE serial number. It will help the experts tell much about your gun, model, date of manufacture, date of issue, original configuration and much more in some cases.

I still don't understand the fear that some people have in revealing the complete serial number of their guns.

It's like asking some car dealer for the value of your Ford
but not giving the year, make or model.....Kind of hard to work effectively with insufficient information.

Just some words of advice for you and for everyone that reads this post and wishes to ask questions about Krags in the future.

Best regards,

Tom
[glb]KCA[/glb]

gunbarrel

Post by gunbarrel »

You are absolutely right, of course, Tom; I suggested it because a lot of people are very reluctant to publish the firearm's entire serial number and in his case he hadn't posted it at all. However, Todd e-mailed me some information, including the complete serial number, and I'm going to suggest to him that he posts it, as it's not my place to do it. Thank you for keeping me straight.