Value of Steyr Krag 6.5mm rifle.

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Jock

Value of Steyr Krag 6.5mm rifle.

Post by Jock »

Can anybody please help me by giving me an idea of the selling price of my Krag rifle?
It is a 6.5mm Norwiegen military rifle, Serial No 55 and was manufactured by Steyr.
The rifle has no chamber date so therefore I think it was made in 1896.
The rifle is all matching numbers and the bore is very good. It retains most of its blueing and the stock is also in good order.
It has its clearing rod and is fitted with an old sling.
I would be very grateful for any help in this matter.
Jock.

Dustin Martin

Re: Value of Steyr Krag 6.5mm rifle.

Post by Dustin Martin »

Hello Jock,
Givin the low serial number of #55 of your Steyr manufactured M1914 Norwegian Krag Rifle, I would say it was of the very first batch made probably around 1895/1896. There were about 29,000 M1914 Rifles manufactured by the Steyr Waffenfabriks and they made the first run until Kongsberg Vapenfabriks got up to speed on production. There were about a total of 155,000 M1914 rifles made by all manufacturers from 1895 to end of production in 1935. Steyr produced the M1914 from 1895 to 1898. I've only seen one of these made by Steyr and it is on display at the NRA Museum in Fairfax, Virginia. It is a Steyr with a date of 1897. I believe some of the early ones like you have were not dated for some odd reason. As far as value is concerned, I would say that your M1914 is worth anywhere between $650 to $1,000 depending on condition and originality. I would say yours sits in the higher end of that bracket considering the original cleaning rod with it and all. I would be interested in seeing this rifle if you have the capability of sending pictures and possibly purchasing this rifle from you if you desire to sell. I have been looking for a M1914 for my collection. Hope this helps. :)

Dustin Martin
dmartin7mm@frontiernet.net

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: Value of Steyr Krag 6.5mm rifle.

Post by Ned Butts »

Hi Jock,
Your rifle is a Model 1894. The following information is taken from Brophy's book The Krag Rifle, page 139. "All Steyr Krags were made in 1896 or 1897." "Army M/94 Steyr Krags were serial numbered from number 1 to number 20,000 and from number 30,001 to number 39,000. Approximately 10,000 rifles were made in 1896 and the rest in 1897." "Total production at Styer was 33,500 rifles." The diffrence in total numbers is due to a production run of civilian model 94's in 1897.
Your serial number would put production in 1896. Your gun sounds compleate and in good condition and the price range given by Dustin would probably be accurate.
Ned