Krag cartouche

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
musketshooter

Krag cartouche

Post by musketshooter »

I have a model '98 rifle that has a small roundel with crossed cannons and the letters CA next to it. The cartouche is located just aft of the magazine cover on the left side. There are no other cartouches in the normal place. :-/ Has anyone ever seen one like this. I can send pictures if it would help identify the marking.

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Re: Krag cartouche

Post by Tom Butts »

I can't find anything right away that matches your description. Photos would probably be helpful. If you could send them to me at my e-mail pbutts@stny.rr.com
I may be able to figure it out.

Regards,

Tom
[glb]KCA[/glb]

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Post by Tom Butts »

Clyde,

Thanks for the two photos you e-mailed me. Unfortunately, I can't find anything like them in my Handbook of Military Rifle Marks. Do you know any of the history of this gun? The reason I ask is that the marks may be something to do with a National Guard unit or American Legion post or something like that. The "P" on the bottom of the wrist should be a proof mark, but the one in the picture doesn't look right. The proof mark on the Krags are in a circle and are a more ornate letter P.

Is the gun a complete, uncut rifle or had it been cut down?

Regards,

Tom
[glb]KCA[/glb]

musketshooter

Post by musketshooter »

The gun is in excellent original condition. I bought it in a shop and don't know the history. I have several other original Krags and am quite familiar with the normal proof and acceptance stamps. The roundel with crossed cannons did not come into general use until early WW2. It is most often seen on early M1s and Remington 03s and 03-A3s. It is possible that this Krag was restocked during WW2 and that is the reason for the unusual stamps. I know that Krags were declared surplus in the '30s, so that just makes this one more interesting.

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Post by Tom Butts »

What you mention is kind of along the lines I was thinking. I forwarded your photos to my brother for input and he mentioned that maybe the gun was used during WWI and/or WWII by the home guard. Thus the rondel with crossed canons. He threw out that maybe the CA stood for Coastal Artillery. Just a theory, maybe someone else can verify.

Martin Wagner

Post by Martin Wagner »

Tom:

Would like to see the scans.

Marty remember-9-11-01@mindspring.com

Thanks