Krag information

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
James Tomkiewicz

Krag information

Post by James Tomkiewicz »

Hello and Merry Christmas!

I am interested in purchasing a krag rifle for use as a hunting gun (i will NEVER sporterize any of my rifles). I have a collection of 03's and this is my first foray into krag collecting. I was wondering if the 30-40 ammo is still available through manufactures such as winchester or remington or will I have to hunt for surplus millitary ammo. Also, when the sight is in the down position (battle sight) what is it set for? What will be an expected price to pay for a krag? I hear that the old krag rifles and carbines make excellent deer rifles and I want to see for myself!
thanks and happy holidays
jim tomkiewicz

Don_B._in_KS.

Re: Krag information

Post by Don_B._in_KS. »

I believe only a 180 grain bullet is currently available from either WW or R-P. The best solution is usually to load your own. The original cartridge was a 220 gr. round nose fmj loaded to about 2,000 fps. My rifles seem to like the heavy bullets best but others have had very good results with lighter bullets down to 150 gr. The sights have different minimums depending on model. The 1892 & 96 are 300 to 1,900, the 1898 and 1902 are 200 to 2,000 and the 1901 is 100 to 2,000 with a battle sight marked at 375. The 1896 carbine sight (a very expensive sight anymore) was marked to 2,000. Most military surplus ammunition is from the 1917-1918 Remington-UMC contract which was not anealed and almost uniformly cracks at the neck. The latest surplus I know of is 1943 but in 1931 WRA market brass. The best advice I can think of on purchasing is to stay away from carbines unless you really know what you are looking at. There are an awful lot of false ones out there at prices appropriate for a real one. Sporterised rifles are not at all expensive and can make excellent guns.

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Re: Krag information

Post by Tom Butts »

James,

Good choice!!!! I don't think you can make a better selection for a deer rifle than a sporterized Krag!! I have quite a few different ones that I have hunted with for years. Some still have the original military sights others with nice Williams peep sights and some with scopes (standard and red dot sights ). I shoot factory loaded 180 rounds through all of my sporters. We reload to military specs for our ( my father's, brother's, and mine ) uncut guns. But the factory loads work great in the sporters. Very accurate and consistant.
I like the Remingtons. Shop around for price if you can. I have seen them for anywhere from $12 to $25 depending on where you look.

As far as a price for a gun, it depends on what you are looking for and how fancy you want. The prices can go from $150 up to $500 for a fancy sporter job. I may have a couple I may part with if you are interested or watch the auction sights and hope for a deal.

Enjoy the gun when you find one. They are fantastic and such fun to shoot.

Regards,

Tom
[glb]KCA[/glb]