1902 Rear Sight

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
fox4

1902 Rear Sight

Post by fox4 »

I have a Model 1898 rifle with a 1901 Cartouche and a 1902 sight. The sliding piece of the sight that would cause the range to increase has a screw on the right side with a knurled head that when tightened would hold the slide in place at the distance setting desired by the shooter. Mine is broken off, so the slide moves correctly up the range settings, but will not hold in place. It is forever set at 200 yds. Are these screws available anywhere? How difficult is it to get the old shaft out of its threads. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Stu

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: 1902 Rear Sight

Post by Ned Butts »

Hi Stu,
I would think that it is going to be simpler and less time consuming to replace the whole sight. The parts are probably out there in some dusty box at an old gun shop or at a show but it could take quite a while to find them. As far as dissassembly of the slide stop, that is one that I haven't had apart, but I'm sure it can be done. M'02 sights are available, so I would say your best bet is to replace the broken one and then experiment with it for disassembly and let us know how you make out!
Happy Holidays,
Ned

Mitch J.

Re: 1902 Rear Sight

Post by Mitch J. »

There are a couple on nice Krag sights on Ebay for sale, Here is one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10952&item=749357001